Largest most interesting fish for a 54 gallon corner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeybabs

Aquarium Advice Freak
HI guys, ive just jumped into the fish hobby a little over a month ago, got so addicted, and now tonight I'm setting up my 5th tank (lol)... it's a 54 gallon corner tank...

what do you guys think would work best in it? i'd love to hear all your opinions...

personally I would like to buy a fish already mostly grown so that I can start off big, because all my other tanks have small fish... i realize part of the fun of having fish is watching them grow but i'd like to just have something nice to look at in the corner, sort of as a buddy...

red devil cichlids are interesting to me, but i'd like something totally cool looking and i was wondering what the biggest type of fish i could keep in this tank would be and where the best place to get them is... ive been searching liveaquaria and aquabid, but any suggestions would be great...

thanks

-mike

I hear ya on the tanks - I just went from one to five recently too! I don't have much experience with cichlids, but I know there are tons of people who could advise you on that. Oscars are fun and get big. Almost every LFS I've been in has a couple of fish that have outgrown somebody's tank. You could check around, see what you like and check into that type of fish. Have fun!

mikeybabs said:
HI guys, ive just jumped into the fish hobby a little over a month ago, got so addicted, and now tonight I'm setting up my 5th tank (lol)... it's a 54 gallon corner tank...

what do you guys think would work best in it? i'd love to hear all your opinions...

personally I would like to buy a fish already mostly grown so that I can start off big, because all my other tanks have small fish... i realize part of the fun of having fish is watching them grow but i'd like to just have something nice to look at in the corner, sort of as a buddy...

red devil cichlids are interesting to me, but i'd like something totally cool looking and i was wondering what the biggest type of fish i could keep in this tank would be and where the best place to get them is... ive been searching liveaquaria and aquabid, but any suggestions would be great...

thanks

-mike

Do you know about fishless cycling? If not I'd highly suggest you check out the link in my signature. If you don't want to do cichlids, a rainbow shark and some other community fish.

Do you know about fishless cycling? If not I'd highly suggest you check out the link in my signature. If you don't want to do cichlids, a rainbow shark and some other community fish.

i already have a rainbow shark in one of my other tanks... and i dont think im going to do a fishless cycle as im going to fill up the new 55 gallon with water coming from all of my previously cycled tanks... then i will pull one of the filters off the cycled tank and put it on the 55 gallon for awhile, this should work right?

thx

mike

Hey, the Oscar... it almost has to be !
Mind your fingers when feeding !!
Our lfs has one (not for sale) and I swear he knows the staff there, what a creature, you would be sure to enjoy his company.

AquaOne said:
Hey, the Oscar... it almost has to be !
Mind your fingers when feeding !!
Our lfs has one (not for sale) and I swear he knows the staff there, what a creature, you would be sure to enjoy his company.

Not in a 54. They need more like 75.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom