Latest pic of 120g with new lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JM

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here r two pic of my 120g with the new VHO lights. Still have to put in some more rock, but almost there. Sorry for the glare on the first pic. i'm not very good with cameras and the flash was on.

Attachments

• imgp0409_211.jpg
    imgp0409_211.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 81
  • imgp0407_390.jpg
    imgp0407_390.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 102
Very nice JM. I`m trying to imagine your tank full of fish and corals. It will look nice.

I'm a big fan of vho's, they provide a better color then even MH. Not quite as intense or pretty a light as metal halide but definitly a better color.

I agree ScottM. I`ve only had VHO`s since I`ve had my tank for 9+ yrs now. I love the look of them and even though you cant have most SPS corals I`m satisfied with LPS and soft corals. View my tank in gallery and signature to see my tank with VHO`s.

Nice, it seems to give or bring out the blue/purple coloring in the rock and the tank overall.

Just a little update. I absolutely love these new lights, i've had them for a little over two weeks now and the color is spectacular. I've put a few small pieces of coral in the tank, just because i couldnt wait any longer and they look great. I have two small pieces of green nepthea that a friend gave me and i put some ricordea and green mushrooms in also. The lights make the greens glow more than any lights i've ever seen. A good friend of mine has had PCs and now has T5s and neither comes close to the color that i am getting from the VHOs.

Melosu, i'm curious as to how many watts of VHO light you have over your tank. I've seen your pics and your tank looks great, but it doesnt say how many watts in your info. Just wanted something to compare how many watts i have on my tank to.

And also, how did u acclimate your starfish and put them in the tank. From what i have read they can't be exposed to air at all. I am trying to figure out how you get them into the tank without exposing them to air or exposing your tank to water from the LFS. My gf has been bugging me to get one forever, but i keep putting her off because i am a little skeptical about them.

I just have 2 lights. 320 watts. Almost 3 wpg. Just enough for soft and LPS corals. I also use the URI bulbs with the internal reflectors and a metal reflector on top of the lights. Helps to keep most of the lighting in the tank. Also I use 50/50 and super actinic bulb.

Sorry I did not see the starfish question. I acclimated them in the bag by adding a cup of tank water every 20 minutes then when the bag gets full I pour out some of the water and keep adding every 20 minetes for 3 hrs. By then most of the LFS water is gone and I sit there and grab the star in the bag still under water and I drop the bag under in the tank and quickly pull him out under the water and then bring the empty bag out quickly as possible. Dont pour the water in the bag back in your tank. Just add some fresh SW to replace what was in the bag. I hope you understand if not let me know.

I understand exactly what you are saying, i thought about doing it like that i just wasn't sure if it would work. Its good to hear that someone else thought of the same thing and it is a successful way to do it. I also use URI bulbs with the internal reflectors and as you can see from the photos i used aluminum flashing to make a reflector for above the bulbs. I have 2 50/50 white actinics and 2 super actinic bulbs over mine.

Back
Top Bottom