Lazy Lazy Assassins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

F4A

Aquarium Advice Activist
My assassin snails just sleep all day and night. I've got one which hasn't moved in three days. Yes, he's still alive. According to the internet assassins can catch and eat 1 - 2 snails per day. This can't be correct because I put a pond snail into the tank to see how long it would take for the assassins to catch it, but so far they haven't done. I've even put the pond snail directly infront of the assassin, it just ignores it.

Why are they so lazy?

I know you said its alive but double checking is always good if it has not moved for a number of days then checking is always a good sign. Also are there any snails in there?

What kinds of food do you feed to your fish? If the assassins are able to get enough meaty proteins from just scooping up leftover fish food - then they wont even bother chasing snails.

Also I think whoever told you that they will kill 1-2 snails per day was exaggerating. The average adult Assassin snail will kill 1 snail - eat it - and then sit and digest it for 4-5 days before going after another snail.

Usually they spend their digestive time under the substrate, but if you have gravel instead of sand then they will just wedge themselves in a corner and snooze. :D

I have 3 assassins in my tank with Ramshorns and they get the job done - but that's mainly because Ramshorns reproduce much more slowly than pond snails.

Judging by the number of empty ramshorn shells in my 20H, I think assassins eat more than one or two snails a week. They won't wipe out pest snails very quickly though. As Vircomore said, assassins can get their protein from fish food and fish food is easier to catch than a live snail.

I know you said its alive but double checking is always good if it has not moved for a number of days then checking is always a good sign. Also are there any snails in there?

Just two assassins.

What kinds of food do you feed to your fish? If the assassins are able to get enough meaty proteins from just scooping up leftover fish food - then they wont even bother chasing snails.

Also I think whoever told you that they will kill 1-2 snails per day was exaggerating. The average adult Assassin snail will kill 1 snail - eat it - and then sit and digest it for 4-5 days before going after another snail.

Usually they spend their digestive time under the substrate, but if you have gravel instead of sand then they will just wedge themselves in a corner and snooze. :D

I have 3 assassins in my tank with Ramshorns and they get the job done - but that's mainly because Ramshorns reproduce much more slowly than pond snails.

Tropical fish flakes
Bloodworm pellets
Live bloodworms
Algae pellets

Maybe they are in the digesting process and thats why they are being lazy.

I was only placing one or two pond snails into the tank for the assassins dinner. Plus, I was hoping they would take out some algae on the way past.

Judging by the number of empty ramshorn shells in my 20H, I think assassins eat more than one or two snails a week. They won't wipe out pest snails very quickly though. As Vircomore said, assassins can get their protein from fish food and fish food is easier to catch than a live snail.

My assassins are actually very very slow moving, I'll be suprised if they could even catch up with a pond snail.

That's a frightening thought if pond snails reproduce more since my ramshorns reproduce like crazy!

My assassins are actually very very slow moving, I'll be suprised if they could even catch up with a pond snail.

Maybe they are just not the healthiest specimens? I'd say at least 10% of my nerites lay around significantly more than the rest and I've wondered the same thing.

Today, one assassin has moved about 1 inch but is still sleeping. I can't fine the other one.

One of the assassins ate another MTS today so he's doing well. The MTS aren't that good are burrowing though from what I can make out.

Hmm at any given time I can only see a small percentage of mine above the substrate. What kind of substrate do you have?

Ya they should burrow in that no prob. Give them a bit of time and see. Smell that assassin..make sure he's not dead.

The assassin looks dead but hes not, and he doesn't smell. The "hatch" is slightly open but when you prod him, he closes it tight, it then opens again slightly after a few minutes. He has not moved at all in weeks now, and unlike the other assassin, he isn't interested in MTS passing by.

Advice?

The assassin snail (Clea helena), from what I've read of these animals, are actually whelks. They spend much of their time hidden in the sand and like to ambush their prey. From my understanding of them it does not seem at all unusual for them to do just what you say they are doing. They are opportunistic predators though and will eat what they can get. If they do catch a snail, and trust me, they can, they will quickly subdue and devour it. Then they will need to spend a day or two digesting it.

Well this one isn't interested in any of the MTS around it. It just isn't moving.

Back
Top Bottom