Lead weights in fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, just wanted to ask if I can tie fishing line on to a moss ball and weigh it down with a lead weight. I know it's strict to have no metals, but will lead have a damaging effect on my fish? Thank you everyone.

I don't believe the weights are actually lead, they are a combo of 2 other pliable metals that are supposed to beneficial to plants. However, I ordered some from one of the online plants sellers and they were called plant weights, they damaged the stalks any of the plants I used them on. I tried them mostly on stiff like pennywort, so perhaps on thicker shafted plants they are ok but the damage cause seemed more of a reaction to what they were made with, so my opinion, I'd not use them again.

Hi all, just wanted to ask if I can tie fishing line on to a moss ball and weigh it down with a lead weight. I know it's strict to have no metals, but will lead have a damaging effect on my fish? Thank you everyone.

Hi, I've used fishing lead sinkers to make sure my driftwood stays sunk. Also the plant weights. I can't say for certain but no ill effects that I have ever heard of over the years. I think lead carbonate is nasty stuff (I doubt many people see it) but the lead metal or the combination is fine.

Lead is a pretty toxic metal to just about everything. If you wanted to tie it to something why not use a stone instead? You could also try squeezing the air out of it so it sinks better.

Lead is a pretty toxic metal to just about everything. If you wanted to tie it to something why not use a stone instead? You could also try squeezing the air out of it so it sinks better.

Thanks much. I will definitely not use lead.

I too prefer using rocks but many people use stainless steel weights without issues.

Open minded but I'm having trouble seeing how fishing lead sinkers, plant weights or tyre lead weights can be an issue? I agree certain forms of lead can be but not fish sinkers. Inter

Ps (app decided to post early :) ) interested in any further info was meant to be last line.

PPS Found some info, although its difficult to find research articles.

This article noted the following on p14. It's the only article I could find to date and that mentions a ph. I did see a 1% dis-solving rate elsewhere, also a ph below 7 was noted as required. Hmm, the wood has been sunk for a bit, it is tempting to cut the sinkers off just in case.

A 1% corrosion rate of lead sinkers was documented
in high velocity rivers in Sweden with pH
ranging from 6.3 to 6.7, but the amount of dissolved
lead contributed to the total lead concentration in the
river was not described (Jacks and Byström 1995).

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&r...YtobRTmJk-Wg4Jg&bvm=bv.56146854,d.aGc&cad=rja

Do you use fishing line, rubber bands, or zip ties?

None of the above. Most plants that you tie to rocks or driftwood will grow and attach themselves to it. In this case use a black cotton thread so that it's both hard to see and will dissolve after a period if time leaving just the plant attached.

Back
Top Bottom