leaky biocube!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sstanle4

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 14 gallon biocube has a leak at the top where the acrylic meets the black plastic. It's not that bad but I don't want it to get any worse. And I would really like to get it fixed. What can I do? Is there a type if sealant that's safe for my fish and inverts? Suggestions? Please and thank you :)

You can also use weld-on solvent (forget which exact solvent #). It's a plastic solvent that will fuse acrylic together in a short amount of time. It's completely inert and i use it on my diy reactors.

If you are going to use GE Silicone I, you need to rough the area before applying the silicone because it will just peel off once cured. I learned the hard way when I applied it to some plexiglass.

Do I put it on the inside or outside of the tank? And does it have to dry for an amount of time? (Will I have to turn the pump off for the water level to go down until it dries?)

sstanle4 said:
Do I put it on the inside or outside of the tank? And does it have to dry for an amount of time? (Will I have to turn the pump off for the water level to go down until it dries?)

Silicone needs a few days to cure. I usually go about 72 hrs before getting it wet. Shouldn't be a huge deal, just lower water levels.

Yeah, put a small bead on both the inside, and outside of the tank and lightly smooth it out to get air bubbles out and let it cure for a few days. To rough the area up, use a Scotch Brite, it doesn't have to be too roughed up.

I had a 20g with a giant crack in the back and scotch tape worked,so before spending a lot of money try tape first,easy cheap fix

It was leaking until i taped it,as long as you smooth out the air bubbles and leave no spots for water to escape

Sharklover said:
It was leaking until i taped it,as long as you smooth out the air bubbles and leave no spots for water to escape

In theory, this would work because the glass is still supporting the weight of the water. The tape is just stoping the drip.

However long term, I wouldn't do this. This is a quick fix until you can get to the store the next day kind of thing.

Ok so I need turn my pump off for a couple of days to allow the water level to drop low enough. Should I put an airstone in the tank until the silicone dries? And it's not going to hurt my fish, will it?

You shouldnt need an airstone if your phs are making enough water movement. This will keep your water oxygenated. In my 36 fowlr i havent had a ph in it for a month due to unforeseen issues. Only prob has been gunk building up that ive been siphoning out.

But I will have to turn my ph off. So there would be no movement in my tank...

I wouldn't use an air bubble. Air is oxygenation and more oxygen raises ph even more. I'd silicone your tank. That's your best bet.

Ok we got it sealed. Did it last night. Hopefully we did it right lol. We'll see in a couple days.

Success! Filled the tank yesterday morning and no leaks! Thanks yall!

Back
Top Bottom