Learning how to use H2O2 to spot treat algae!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andresdeo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey there, I've read in pleanty of threads that to get rid of algae you can spot treat with a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution.

My questions are:

1) How much can be used? (I asume it will depend on live stock?)

2) What types of algae con you remove using this method?

3) How often can it be used?

4) Does the filtering need to be turned off or any other specific precaution?

5) Any types of plants that this should not be done close to.

6) Any other tip and advice you may have on the matter.

I will be trying this out once I have more information on it and hopefully it will help members which want the information later on as well.

Here's an old post by Rivercats about this.

""The best way to eradicate BGA is to dose the tank for 5 days with Erythromycin. Erythromycin won't harm BB but can cause an ammonia spike if a lot of BGA is dying off. So after treating the tank I suggest a large 50-60% WC on day 6. This will literally kill off all the bacteria which is what BGA is.

As for the hair algae... how long are you running lighting daily? It's best to only run lighting 6 hours daily until algae issues are remedied. Do you know your phosphate reading? I prefer running planted tanks with a level of 10-20ppm nitrates and 1-5ppm phosphates. I dose PPS-Pro which shoots for adding the amount of nutrients a tank needs/uses vs EI which overdoses ferts so plants have everything they utilize. IMO your nitrate are high.

You can spot treat the hair algae either before or after treating the BGA with Erythromycin with hydrogen peroxide 3%. Use 3ml peroxide for every 1 gallon of tank water. Turn off filters, slowly squirt algae with peroxide, leave filters off 20 minutes after treating. Hair algae will start dying off within 24 hours. If you have a lot of algae to treat you will have to treat an area a day.

You also need to be doing a 50% WC weekly. ""

Back
Top Bottom