leaving lights on

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

booginish

Aquarium Advice Activist
will leaving the lights on my tank longer increase my nitrogen cycle? iv heard that the bacterium that recycle your ammonia, and nitrites grow the most when the lights on your tank are turned on. and yes im doin a fish cycle (not fishless). and i have proper eco lights on my 55 gallon tank.

I don't think it would help. At least not with nitrobacter. I don't know nearly as much about nitrosomas (ammonia to nitrIte).

Nitrobacter is a gram negative bacteria that lives/grows in soil, and an essential part to the nitrogen cycle. It is the strain of bacteria that converts nitrIte into NitrAte. Being that it is adapted to work in soil, underground, away from light, I don't think you would see a huge benefit or measurably faster cycle by increasing the photo period. I think what you would see is an increase in algae growth, and the increased potential for more photo sensative bacteria, like cyanobacteria (Blue Green Algae). Of course, this is speculation on my part - while I am somewhat familiar with the nitrogen cycle as it applies to terrestial plants/ecosystems, I have limited experience cycling tanks, as I am currently cycling only my 2nd fish tank. Any of the more experienced folks have differing opinions?

Actually, I've heard it can be better to cycle with the lights off (at a minimum prevents alge from growing during the cycling).

Now I have heard that increasing the temperature of your water can speed the reproduction of the necessary bacteria, and leaving the lights on would increase the water temperature. But you'll more reliably warm the water with a heater instead.

Actually, I've heard it can be better to cycle with the lights off (at a minimum prevents alge from growing during the cycling).

Now I have heard that increasing the temperature of your water can speed the reproduction of the necessary bacteria, and leaving the lights on would increase the water temperature. But you'll more reliably warm the water with a heater instead.

Correct, its best to cycle with the lights off. avoid the whole algae problem. A heater is needed, not only for cycling but for when you have your fish.

Agreed Hook - nitrosomas and nitrobacter would benefit from a slight rise in temperature (to a point of course). I think raising the temp to say 80-84F could potentially increase your cycle speed.

Back
Top Bottom