LED advice on biocube 14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jtbetts

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was looking into upgrading the lights on my Biocube 14 with the Truelumen Pro nano retrofit. This set includes 2 12 inch led strips with dimmers and mounts. Does anyone on here have any experience with this set up? Is it worth the money to switch out my lights with this. At this time I only have a Hammer, GSP, Kenya tree and some mushrooms. Plus if anyone has a video or pics of this setup in a tank please link those to me. Thank you

I have a bc29 and have 4 total... 2 marine fusion, 1 diamond white, 1 actinic blue. I have taken the bulbs out, left one ballast to run fans, 2 power supplies, and two dimmers. I run blue at full power and other 3 at about 3/4 power. I left stock moon lights on full time. Double sided tape for strip installs.
I like them and not much modification needed

Do you think 1 marine fusion and 1 actinic blue would be enough in a biocube 14?

Do you think 1 marine fusion and 1 actinic blue would be enough in a biocube 14?

You might be fine but it all depends on your stock .... If you go to current's website they have a chart for how many you need vs. the stock your planning.

what are you keeping?If you are keeping something like LPS and sofites, maybe you can consider my LED?
If you are keeping SPS, I would suggest any type of full spectrum PAR38 bulb.
I checked the retrofit kit, but saw the cost was $170+(maybe I read it wrong)? If it is how much then that is way too much for a nano tank.

I am trying to to keep the hood and add LEDs with out to much modification. If the size of you LEDs will fit in place of the PC lights i would be very interested in this set up.

To be honest with you, it is impossible to fit any led in the pc hood without mods . I personally doesn't like the bio cube hood as it prevent gas exchange. Ppl using bio cube most likely have no sump or overflow already( the filter at the back doesn't count as it also hide inside the hood.) to eliminate gas exchange on surface area doesn't help. That is why I always suggest ppl get rid of the hood, I rather replace water that is evaporate than having low oxygen in the water. As for mod wise, although the fixture can be mod into the hood by removing the full pc light. The issue would be the moist inside the hood could damage the fixture.

All i had to do is remove the lamps .... Install the pro led strips (4 x 12") with double sided tape on the bracket feet. Run the wiring through the stock openings (this could use some mods but it will work without!!!!! ) keep the ballast running that operates the fans ( keep them running full time btw for led strip heat exchange ) keep the moon lights running 24 7. Setup timers to control the blues and then one for fusions and diamond white ( btw it all fits under stock water shield ). Done! No mods other than removal of lamps and it works great.
I looked into the AI Sol but couldn't pay that much and couldn't bring myself to cut the entire hood open for the Sol. Not a hole.... A rectangle ..... 60% of hood would be gone.

I'm sure the 14g has different obstacles but it can be done.

Back
Top Bottom