Led Lights For 36 Gallon Bow Front Aquarium!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diecypt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I right now am in search for a suitable led light for plant growth in my tank. I am sorry but I do not know much about lights. I have selected a few of the lights that might be suitable and please tell me which you think is the most cost efficient while sustaining plant growth. I am not maintaining a reef aquarium so I don't think blue led lights are needed (please correct me if I am wrong on this.) This tank is 36 gallon bowfront and the dimensions are 30"L x 15"W x 21"H.
If you think there is a light that would work just as well or better at a lower price, then please recommend it to me. Also T5 bulbs will work too if you can find one that is cheap or good enough.

Here are some options I found :

Fluval Performance LED Strip Lights: Aquarium LED Lighting

Marineland Aquatic Plant LED Light System - 24 to 36 in.

AquaticLife 1W Expandable Marine LED Light Fixtures

Satellite Freshwater LED Strip Light - 24 in. - 30 in.

what is the difference between these two? ↑ ↓ ↑ ↓ ↑ ↓

Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Strip Light - 24 in. - 30 in.

These are also Satellite but cheaper for some reason

Amazon.com: Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED Light, 18"-24": Pet Supplies

Amazon.com: Current USA 24"-30" Satellite Freshwater LED Plus Aquarium Light w/Wireless RGB Remote: Pet Supplies

I would appreciate any info you can give me.

Thanks!

I'm doing my own lighting research. First I don't own any of these lights so what I'm saying is from research and reading user reviews. From this I believe the Marineland single bright are totally inadequate for plants. The double bright should be okay for low light plants. Of course the most expensive Marinland plant light would probably be the best of their selections, but it is quite pricey. On the Current satellite lights, double check your lengths in your price comparisons. The plus has more wattage and a programmable remote. You can find pictures and specs at Aquarium Lighting, LED Aquarium Lights, Complete Aquariums - Current USA. I'm guessing the higher wattage would be better for plants, but the specs don't truly address that. They appear to be full spectrum and the plus version would allow you to adjust the color to your taste. The fluval performance has more led wattage than the satellite plus, but again comes at a higher price and without the fun factor of the satellite. A lot depends on your budget and your needs. On the fluval be sure you get the freshwater plant version as opposed to the marine version. None of the lights seem to give the kind of technical information needed to give a true comparison. So it's still down to reading the specs, choosing your price point, analyzing your needs and hoping when all is said and done you haven't thrown a lot of money at a light that won't grow your plants. Because I only have easy and undemanding plants, and want to stay low tech on the aquaculture, I'm leaning towards the satellite plus. Then again next month someone else will come out with something even more appealing, or so it has been going on freshwater LEDs.

I've been looking at the marineland plants LED on amazon lately. Just haven't quite pulled the trigger. I have a single bright right now, it doesn't seem to do the job and the corners are dark =\. I like that the plant one has a timer on it.

The fluval one looks nice too. Whatever you choose, do tell us how well it is! I'm thinking of returning my single bright soon and spending more on the plant one. It last longer, has more watts, designed specifically for plants and seems to have good reviews. If/when I do it, I'll tell ya how it is!

Back
Top Bottom