LED Lights Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheCrazyFishLady

Aquarium Advice Addict
First off, I am very new to LED lighting or lighting in general, so bare with me here.

I saw the commercial for LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS

So, could these be used on an aquarium? Like, a 12 inch waterproof light? They are like $20 on here, which is crazy cheap!

I was looking at one with this description:

WLF-xW30SMD: WLF-xW30SMD series 30 High Power LED Waterproof Light Fixture

• 12 inch Waterproof Light Fixture sealed in aluminum housing
  • 12VDC operation with 12 inch power wires on both ends
  • 30 Cool White or Warm White 3528SMD LEDs with 120 degree beam pattern
  • Integrated Mounting Magnets included
  • Mount with Magnets, Foam Tape or Mounting Clips sold below
It's $19.99 and comes in cool or warm white. What's the difference between these two colors?

Thanks!
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/led_prods.htm

Depending on the size of the tank you may need two to four of them but, yes, the will light you aquarium. No good for plants though, for that you will a different kind of LED.

I honestly don't know, but definitely the price is really gooood.
With that kind of price, I will give it a try.... Worst scenario, is that the lights are not to good and don't last long.

I will try the color that sounds more white than the others.

LED light here, are about 80 dollars minimum,for a small one.

All I can add is I loved the LED light fixture from marineland on my smaller tanks but when I hit the 75g mark I tried the ML double bright LED fixture and it just didn't to the tank justice so I returned it.

I went to the T5 high output fixtures and I'm much more happy and he lights the tank up nicely.

Convict2161 said:
All I can add is I loved the LED light fixture from marineland on my smaller tanks but when I hit the 75g mark I tried the ML double bright LED fixture and it just didn't to the tank justice so I returned it.

I went to the T5 high output fixtures and I'm much more happy and he lights the tank up nicely.

Do you know the output watts on the LED from Marineland?

blert said:
Depending on the size of the tank you may need two to four of them but, yes, the will light you aquarium. No good for plants though, for that you will a different kind of LED.

What do you mean with a different type of LED for plants?

Thank you everyone. I was just thinking about getting it for my 10g riparium I'm working on. Not sure of what kind of plants are going in it just yet.

this was actually a big help for me too since i've been considering one of the MarineLand Double Bright fixtures for my 10g also. Right now i have just a single 15W T5 on there and it is doing ok for keeping the status quo but i'm really getting any new growth.

I'll be following this one closely!

Convict, I love those fixtures! My boyfriend's little brother has one on his 10g. I think he paid $80 for it. Not sure if I'm up for that price.

Back
Top Bottom