Leopard Danio gender

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JC_Bus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello I got 3 leopard danios a few days ago. I asked the man for 3 long finned leopards but I got 2 long and 1 regular. Is that okay? I noticed that the two long finned ones were chasing the short finned one. The short one looks rounder so idk if it's a female or they don't like that it's not long finned like them. Here's some pictures can you tell their genders?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434648641.764968.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434648659.974740.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The fin difference is just a variation of the "normal" short finned fish so the only thing that will happen should you manage to get any fry survivors is you will get a mix of long fin, short fin and in between fined fish.
The top pic looks to me like a female and the bottom one male. The behavior you described does sound like spawning behavior which is normal when there is a water change done on the fish. ( You taking them from the store to your tank would be considered a water change. ;) ) If you are interested in raising the fry should they breed, you would be best to remove the adult fish after they spawn. Danios typically eat their eggs after spawning. Sometimes you get lucky with the eggs falling into the gravel before they get them but then the fry get eaten once they emerge. It's generally only "dumb luck" that fry survive without taking any precautions. ;)

Hope this helps. (y)

If they breed will they be healthy?

Only if the parents are genetically healthy. As I said, the long fin is just a variation. It's not unhealthy just because it's a long fin. There are many factors beyond your control at this point as to whether the fry will be genetically strong. The only way to know what they are made of is to raise some fry and see. (y)

Okay thank you

Back
Top Bottom