Let's talk DIRT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PassengerTN

Aquarium Advice Addict
Looking to hear peoples first hand experiences with dirted tanks. What type of dirt you used, what cap, what plants were and were not successful, what issues you had etc.

Jesse

Hehe.... I'm abt to start my first dirted tank. Its gonna be a 20L with a very small grain pebble cap.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Same, except using a sand cap. Was hoping someone with experience would come in and talk DIRTy about it, good or bad.

Jesse

What soil are you thinkin of goin with?

Whatever I can find the cheapest. I've heard it doesn't matter much. Planning to sift out all the debris and large bits, add some muriate of potash (potassium), mixing it all with a good helping of pottery clay and throwing the cap on it. From what I've read, nutrients should stay abundant for years, only needing a small occasional dose of potassium after initial source is used up.

Jesse

In planted pots with gravel caps I found the best was one for seedlings (soil plus ferts). This grew foxtail and water lettuce really well.

Any soils with bits of wood or mulch I found didn't work well. From memory these were cheap ones.

Also here I had to check no chemicals were added for helping water penetration, etc.

Did notice the dirt tended to wash out or compact or something in pots and plants seemed to run out of ferts after say 6 months at a guess.

1.5 months into the dirted tank. So far so good. Starting to get some brown algae.

I have lots of young plants. Should I turn the lights on for less time? 2- two hour photoperiods in the day, followed by a 1 hr photoperiod on the evening(5 total).

How can I reduce algae, even though it's pretty minimal?

Carrying out 30% water changes every 4 days or so. It's not terribly hard after the first week where you have to do the massive water changes daily!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looking to hear peoples first hand experiences with dirted tanks. What type of dirt you used, what cap, what plants were and were not successful, what issues you had etc.

Jesse

What is your plan in terms of co2 and extra fertilisation? Are you planning on letting the soil and fish food/waste provide nutrients?

I have just set up a 5 gallon soil tank with added crushed coral and red clay. It is heated to 24-25 degrees Celsius with a small pump providing surface agitation. I haven't done any water changes and don't plan to for about 6 months. There are 6 red cherry shrimp in it and a nerite snail.

I have gone through the diatom stage that pretty much went as quickly as it came. I have a gravel cap. Depth is no deeper that 1.5 inches. Plants are swords, crypts, Java fern, Java moss, moss Ball, bacopa, hygrophillia and dwarf hairgrass.

All plants are still healthy after one month but not going crazy. I have a very low light LED that keeps growth slow and algae at bay. Tank also sits opposite a window and gets decent sunlight.

I mineralised my soil first also to reduce nutrient leaching and subsequent algae outbreaks. I also have a siesta period in the middle of the day.

Please feel free to ask more questions and I will provide some pictures when I get home.

Set up will be
20 long
Dirt with play sand cap
Sunsun canister
DIY CO2
dual t8 fixture, should put me medium light levels

I don't plan to mineralize the soil, as I've read mostly only Miracle Grow soil needs the mineralizing to prevent the massive ammonia release, and quickly released nutrients causing algae outbreak.

As for extra ferts, I don't plan to add any until I notice a nutrient deficiency. All the plants I'm intending to use are dominantly root feeders as well. The tank will not have any live stock in it until I can keep every thing stabilized and balanced 100%.

Jesse

Set up will be
20 long
Dirt with play sand cap
Sunsun canister
DIY CO2
dual t8 fixture, should put me medium light levels

I don't plan to mineralize the soil, as I've read mostly only Miracle Grow soil needs the mineralizing to prevent the massive ammonia release, and quickly released nutrients causing algae outbreak.

As for extra ferts, I don't plan to add any until I notice a nutrient deficiency. All the plants I'm intending to use are dominantly root feeders as well. The tank will not have any live stock in it until I can keep every thing stabilized and balanced 100%.

Jesse

That's a good plan. I left my tank up and running for a month before adding the shrimp and snail. Mineralisation is up to you, I just did it because I wanted to. Probably wouldn't bother next time. Seems like you have everything in hand. Most people used miracle gro organic potting mix. I just used john innes no 3. Both are recommended by Diana walstad.

Jesse

My 20L is dirted with a sand/sm. diameter gravel cap...I didn't mineralize the soil to begin with...sifted large bits out before adding to tank,also one thing to note is that I added osmocote+ to the bottom glass then placing the 100% organic soil over it...added water until I got a thick mud consistency,capped with sand/gravel&flooded...a few times a week I prodded the soil with planting tongs to release gas build up..
In the first 2 weeks of setup I performed 3 25% wc's a week to remove excess nutrients as to reduce chances of an algae issue...another thing to add is that the dhg in the 20L loves the dirt! That's about all the dirty talk I have for now,feel free to ask any questions.

sit in silence...

Had no clue the 20L was dirted! I had thought about a layer of osmocote, but didn't see much use in it at first? Then again, be easier to add it initially than trying to stuff root tabs in later I suppose. How deep is yours total TT? I've actually forgotten about the anaerobic pockets. Good root systems prevent this doesn't it?

Jesse

Had no clue the 20L was dirted! I had thought about a layer of osmocote, but didn't see much use in it at first? Then again, be easier to add it initially than trying to stuff root tabs in later I suppose. How deep is yours total TT? I've actually forgotten about the anaerobic pockets. Good root systems prevent this doesn't it?

Jesse

1.5" dirt - 1.5" cap..I'd reccomend prodding the soil seeing as how it will take some time for the roots to develop...
Think of the o+ as a way to super charge the soil,in time the soil becomes mineralized so the addition of tabs will be reduced...
sit in silence...

I think MTS can help against anaerobic pockets as well. They churn soil.

1.5" dirt - 1.5" cap..I'd reccomend prodding the soil seeing as how it will take some time for the roots to develop...
Think of the o+ as a way to super charge the soil,in time the soil becomes mineralized so the addition of tabs will be reduced...
sit in silence...

That's a peace of mind. The tank has been set up dry with play sand and rock only for about two months so I could play with hard scape ideas. Pretty set in stone (bazinga!) with the layout, which climbs to around 2-2.5" without the dirt under it.

Jesse

Here is my 5 gallon. I am no aquascaper though and don't claim to be.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1444851799.540124.jpg

Looks nice!

Do you get any trouble with the dirt getting stirred up when trimming plants or anything? Wondering if this can be as much of a problem as people say.

I set up a 29gal dirted tank once with a pfs cap. I used miracle grow organic soil sifted. Didn't mineralize it either. Only plants I had in it was water sprite, no fish. Three weeks into the cycle wife found it and demanded I get rid of it.

Back
Top Bottom