Let's talk DIRT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks nice!

Do you get any trouble with the dirt getting stirred up when trimming plants or anything? Wondering if this can be as much of a problem as people say.

I haven't stirred up dirt much since I've started even with planting. I have noticed dirt popping up through the sand tho. I think the cories dig it up. I've added more sand around the dwarf sag and that seems to help

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks nice!

Do you get any trouble with the dirt getting stirred up when trimming plants or anything? Wondering if this can be as much of a problem as people say.

Thanks dela. Haven't had to move much yet but the little bit I have moved it is now much better than when I was starting it up. Apparently once the bacteria start colonising the substrate the polysaccharide substance they create acts as a sort of glue and holds most of the dirt in place.

I haven't stirred up dirt much since I've started even with planting. I have noticed dirt popping up through the sand tho. I think the cories dig it up. I've added more sand around the dwarf sag and that seems to help

That was my problem when I had a dirted tank. I used sand as a cap and didn't use enough. I really didn't care for it but I know what I did wrong at any rate so I think I'd do better next time. Walstad book is helpful.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks nice!

Trimming? No. Pulling entire plants out, yes. Pulling out a mature amazon sword whos roots span the entire tank bottom.. is an opportunity to re-due your entire tank scape!! :D

I had a group of corys dig to the tank bottom. :O Something like 1.5" of eco, and 1.5" of dirt. They did not dig through the sand after I moved them.

Back
Top Bottom