Lets Talk Rainbow Fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good Mroning All! So just an update. My tank is happy and all my rainbows are doing great. They have all started growing surprising fast. Its been a blast to see them change. My 2 austrailans are beautiful and have adjusted well. their fins are so impressive. My neon dwarf seems to glow at times it fun. And my lake waman emeralds even seem to have gotten bigger and i thought they were already as big as they would get. And even though there is a decent size diff. between them all they get along great. My only issue is that my chinese algae eaters seem to be getting a tad aggressive. sometimes with my fish but mostly with eachother. they started out the same size but now 1 is almost dbl the size of the other. they both seem healthy enough. 1 just seems more dominent then the other. when i got them I was unaware of there growth potential. Should I worry?

CAEs are well known to get aggressive as they age and start to eat fishes slime coats. They also get six inches long an are territorial as they get older.

Male rainbows as they mature will develop dorsal fin overlap. The last ray of the first dorsal fin will overlap the front of the second dorsal fin. Also most female bows will stay pretty much a silver color. Some have coloring that resemble the males but it will be much more subdued. Male wanamensis will develope long anal fins that will appear ragged as they mature. Wanamensis that are offered in the hobby are almost all bred at fish farms either in Fla. or in the far east. If anyone is interested I have the names of several reputable rainbow breeders that offer pure strains of bows. Male rainbows will display a breeding stripe that runs from the tip of the mouth to the front of the dorsal fin. It is quite a site to watch mature males court the females. I am presently keeping about 15 different types of rainbows, they are my favorite fish;)

Male rainbows as they mature will develop dorsal fin overlap. The last ray of the first dorsal fin will overlap the front of the second dorsal fin. Also most female bows will stay pretty much a silver color. Some have coloring that resemble the males but it will be much more subdued. Male wanamensis will develope long anal fins that will appear ragged as they mature. Wanamensis that are offered in the hobby are almost all bred at fish farms either in Fla. or in the far east. If anyone is interested I have the names of several reputable rainbow breeders that offer pure strains of bows. Male rainbows will display a breeding stripe that runs from the tip of the mouth to the front of the dorsal fin. It is quite a site to watch mature males court the females. I am presently keeping about 15 different types of rainbows, they are my favorite fish;)

Very Interesting! I'm new to rainbows but absolutely in love. I have 3 lake wanman emeralds/ 3 bosemani/2 kubutu / 2 austrailan and 1 neon dwarf. I've read they like neons need groups but mine seems very happy all the rainbows swim together in one big group. I also have 9 zebra danios that group along with the rainbows. Its funny they all get along great. I would love any info you have to share on rainbowbreeders. thatnks for putting in.

CAEs are well known to get aggressive as they age and start to eat fishes slime coats. They also get six inches long an are territorial as they get older.

Will they mess with my high fin pleco. He is much bigger then them but I worry it just makes him a bigger target. He is as big as my hand from middle finger tip to wrist. they do a great job of keeping things clean but i dont want them messing with my rainbows. should I move them to a different setup? the CAE's?

Rainbows rarely bother any other fish in your tank. The males will spar with each other, but they don't hurt each other. That's when they show their the best color. Might think about taking the algae eaters out, as previously mentioned they get aggressive as they mature. Rainbows require a lot of vegetable matter in their diet, Be sure to feed them vegetable flakes quite often( at least 4 days a week) You can also feed them green beans, or any other type of green veggies. I have some Glossolepis Multisquamatis that like muskmelon:confused: Don't feed them frozen bloodworms very much as they can cause the bows to develop body ulcers. Rainbows do best in lower temps around 74to 76 degrees, with a lot of oxygen in the water. I have power heads in all my bow tanks, just below the water surface. Rainbows are prone to fungal infections if not kept in pristine water conditions. I have kepy bows for over 15 yrs now and they have become my favorite fish.

I am interested in rainbows as well- where do you find them? I am having trouble finding them locally. Does anyone order them on line? I am new to this internet shopping. Seems you would get healthier fish shipped direct to than getting them at a store. Any ideas?

Will they mess with my high fin pleco. He is much bigger then them but I worry it just makes him a bigger target. He is as big as my hand from middle finger tip to wrist. they do a great job of keeping things clean but i dont want them messing with my rainbows. should I move them to a different setup? the CAE's?
If I were you, I would move the CAEs. I got one for my first tank, but now I feel that they are fish to avoid in most community set-ups. As they get bigger, they quit eating algae, get aggressive, and suck on the other fish giving them hickeys.

Where to get rainbows

I am interested in rainbows as well- where do you find them? I am having trouble finding them locally. Does anyone order them on line? I am new to this internet shopping. Seems you would get healthier fish shipped direct to than getting them at a store. Any ideas?

If you are interested I have some names of breeders of quality bows. Let me know and I can PM you. Also watch Aqua Bids, there are some on there now from quality breeders.

I would appreciate any info you can get me on who I can order them from. I don't quite understand aquabid. When I looked at it-it appeared that most of the fish came from out of the U.S. Is that because they are hard to breed?

Clynnking said:
I would appreciate any info you can get me on who I can order them from. I don't quite understand aquabid. When I looked at it-it appeared that most of the fish came from out of the U.S. Is that because they are hard to breed?

No, it's just that there are usually more suppliers from outside the country than in. For example my LFS gets their fish shipped in from the Middle East and Southeast Asia.

Back
Top Bottom