level issues in upgraded tank... need help please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hummm... PQ, will have to think about that.

As for plants what lighting and bulbs do you have so I can recommend the proper plants?

Can you post a link to the thread you were talking about?

Hummm... PQ, will have to think about that.

As for plants what lighting and bulbs do you have so I can recommend the proper plants?

Can you post a link to the thread you were talking about?

Here is the link for the other thread I will get on there and post the light information for that tank after this post.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...eding-help-with-setup-of-new-tank-252107.html

On my 29 gallon I have a ge F20T12/AQ•ECO wide spectrum 20w pictures attached. It is a Aquarium plant light from Walmart. It's what was in it when I got it. I also put the blue led strip on there myself for moon light. The camera makes it look brighter blue than it is.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130319_111328.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130319_111328.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 35
  • ForumRunner_20130319_111345.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130319_111345.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 28
  • ForumRunner_20130319_111404.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130319_111404.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 24
  • ForumRunner_20130319_111454.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130319_111454.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 28
  • ForumRunner_20130319_111517.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130319_111517.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 32
  • ForumRunner_20130319_111553.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130319_111553.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 24
You could most likely get low light and med-low light plants to grow fine. Swords, Crypts (for sure), Narrowleaf Temple, Corkscrew Val, Dwarf Sag, Ambulia, Water Sprite, Wisteria, 4 Leaf Clover, and for alittle color Red Tiger Lotus and Telanthera Rosefolia (Alternanthera reineckii). Then you can use Anubia, Java Fern (regular and wendilov), Bolbutis, and java moss to attach on DW if you have any.

Are you going to change your substrate?

Thank you and yes I'm thinking about it to be honest I don't really like the blue rock but it came in the tank so was a money saver. But is it easy to change the substrate I've heard I can't without risking shocking my fish.

People change their substrate all the time, it's easy. Just remove the fish to a container that you can put their filter and heater on/in. Drain the tank water down enough you can remove the gravel and then put in the new substrate. You can siphon off more of the tank water if it's really nasty, then refill the tank with clean new water of the proper temp (or you can save some of the old tank water to add back in with new water. Rehook the filter and heater to the tank and let run about 30 minutes and then acclimate the fish just like when you brought them home. That's how I've done it in the past. It's not hard, just time consuming.

Ok thank you I will definitely look into it is there substrate that is better for live plants or can I just use a different gravel.

You can use sand or any small grained gravel if you want but you will have to use root tabs for root feeding plants like Swords and Crypts. Or you can use a plant substrate if your going to be planting alot of plants. It's just a matter of how much you want to spend.

Rivercats do you know if I can use a cfl bulb in my incandescent as long as it is 25w or less on my 5.5 since that's the Maxx rating. And also I have a ten gallon put up that needs cleaned and bulbs and was going to use a 13w cfl in it since it calls for 15w maxx incandescent. I can purchase the plant ones by ge at Walmart $15 for 3 if so...

Yes you can use the Walmart bulbs but use the higher wattage fixture and bulb on the larger tank.

My 25w hood is for the 5.5 gallon the ten take two 15w maxx. The fixtures are made on the hoods I can't change them as they are one piece assembly. Only thing I can do for now is change the bulbs. :( lack of funds

I don't use CFL bulbs but if your not going to put alot of plants that need higher light I'd watch using too high a watt bulb on the 5.5g. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I use 4 23w 6500k CFL's in a 75g. I know lowe's carries a 6500k 13w mini cfl that might work but it may be to much and cause crazy algae issues. I had a 5g that was planted and I put a high output bulb in that hood that I got at petco. It worked well for low to med light plants. They didn't grow like crazy which I liked because i didn't want to trim plants very three days but they always looked healthy.

Last edited:
Ok thank you for the advice ill post pictures in a few weeks of the update. Not too sure what plants I'm going to get yet. I got alot to ponder on :) thank you all again :) stay tuned.

That's the good thing about plants they are easy to change so you can try different kinds to see what works best in your setup

Back
Top Bottom