LFS Advice. Good or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am considering planting my tank. My LFS says I can basically just plant the plants. No fertilizers, co2 or extra lighting. He said the plants may just grow slower but will still look healthy. I dont think they use co2 in their planted tanks either. Is this true? I cant afford co2 (I will NOT use diy co2) or extra lighting (Well I could but not in conjunction with co2). I am alittle scared of fertilizers. So what do yall think? Could I get by without that stuff?

I used the stock lighting that came with mine and it kept them alive. Then just upgraded to a ” plant growth” bulb, for like $16 and then I could really tell my plants were growing

What kind of lighting do you have?

Co2 is nice, but not necessary, you really need it in a high light tank (when its necessary). Other than that it's just a little extra help.

Ferts are pretty easy, all I use is flourish comprehensive, just follow the dosing on the back and it's really easy, and you can under dose it if you're still hesitant.

But you don't have to have ferts and co2 by any means.

Any other questions I'll be glad to try and answer too!

Without knowning the types of plants, one can't say the advice is good nor bad. there are plants that will do fine in standard lights and won't require fertilizers once it's establish and you have fish in the tank.

I have a 180gal tank with standard lights and no fertilizer and some of the plants are fine. Not growing crazy but not dying either.

I used the stock lighting that came with mine and it kept them alive. Then just upgraded to a ” plant growth” bulb, for like $16 and then I could really tell my plants were growing

What kind of lighting do you have?

Co2 is nice, but not necessary, you really need it in a high light tank (when its necessary). Other than that it's just a little extra help.

Ferts are pretty easy, all I use is flourish comprehensive, just follow the dosing on the back and it's really easy, and you can under dose it if you're still hesitant.

But you don't have to have ferts and co2 by any means.

Any other questions I'll be glad to try and answer too!
Thank you soo much! Can you give me any suggestions? Im alittle nervous about planting my tank because all of the planted tanks I have seen appear cloudy and dirty. Is this typical?
Without knowning the types of plants, one can't say the advice is good nor bad. there are plants that will do fine in standard lights and won't require fertilizers once it's establish and you have fish in the tank.

I have a 180gal tank with standard lights and no fertilizer and some of the plants are fine. Not growing crazy but not dying either.
They said all of the plants would be fine. They keep theirs in big tanks together.

GodFan said:
Thank you soo much! Can you give me any suggestions? Im alittle nervous about planting my tank because all of the planted tanks I have seen appear cloudy and dirty. Is this typical?

Well really the only necessities are light and water. Mine has all real plants and it's not cloudy at all. Without anything special I'd say that anubias and java fern would be fine, and probably wisteria. All the other stuff just makes them grow more. Only thing I would highly suggest you get is a plant growth bulb. Imma guess that you have a single bulb t8 fixture?

*edit*
What is the size of the tank and substrate too?

There are some plants that will need ferts, CO2, high light. But there are lots that don't. You can check out this section of this site...it's all about low tech tanks...people that don't use CO2 or at least pressurized CO2, many don't use ferts, low light, ect. Might be worth checking out. So yeah...the LFS was mostly correct. You don't need that stuff for a lot of plants but not all of them.

Low Tech Forum - The Planted Tank Forum

I'm running high light tanks without ferts or co2... got tired of dealing with it, said the heck with it, somehow it's working. So, they're likely telling you that because it works for them, nobody needs it. Definitely not true. Every tank is different.

Thanks yall. I will have the standard light that comes with the tank. Though I might upgrade if it looks to dim. I will be using pool filter sand as substrate. How much should I use?

Back
Top Bottom