Lfs surprise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trainer_Ruby_

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I went to my lfs to get some fish to finish off my schools. I got 4 neons 1 harlequin rasbora and 3 danios. When I asked for only 1 harlequin she asked if I only wanted one because they like to school. That honestly surprised me because they normally don't care or know anything about the fish. She also asked if they where going in the same tank and made the remark that adding that many fish would cause a spike in nitrate because of all the extra wast. It's so rare to see people in the lfs that know what they're talking about and genuinely care about the fish

Keep calm and drum on

So did you take the advice??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Like I said the harlequin was to finish the school because I was one short in my 10g the neons where for my 20g and the danios where for my 55g

Keep calm and drum on

There is guy at petsmart who incourages customers not to get more than three fish at a time because of stress and possible bioload . He also segested I let my tank cycle a bit longer before I introduce more fish.I did wait.

I love hearing stuff like that. It gives me hope that one day fish will be treated with respect from stores and not like product. The best part of the lady that sold me the fish is she bought stress coat and adds it to all the fish bags before she closes it. This was the first time all the neon tetras I bought survived all the way to my house.

Keep calm and drum on

Hear is one more Ruby,
I was in pet smart and had to go up front to get help.The young woman was very friendly and eager to help.She was struggling to net my fish when another employee offered to help.
When she realized she netting all the barbs in the tank,she stopped and asked me quite seriously how big my tank is and what's in there.

Just posted on this forum for the first time tonight so I'm new, but I've been lurking and reading for days. I wanted to chime in and say that I work at a chain pet store and genuinely do care about the fish (otherwise I wouldn't be here, right?!). I can't tell you how many sales I've refused because water conditions weren't right or fish compatibility wasn't being considered, etc. Especially with bettas. Don't even get me started on them. They are one of my favorites and they are treated the worst ...

And not all of us are about upselling, either. I am very do-it-yourself-y and instead of selling 50 different chemicals to put in the tanks I often suggest things like adding driftwood to slightly alter PH or plants to help with chemistry. There have been times when people have had 10 items in their hands and have asked me what order to use them or HOW to use them and I've just told them to put it all back and use this ONE item instead. I don't trust most people to handle all this "complicated" chemistry stuff. I'd rather see them take things slowly and get it right than to just throw everything we've got at the problem and end up destroying the entire tank. Of course, I never let my manager hear me during those times! -lol-

Almost every single person I work with has surprised me with their fish knowledge and empathy. We're not all bad! You just have to find the good ones, which can be tough I know.

Back
Top Bottom