Library tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pocket22

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my library has a 75 long. Until about 2 weeks ago, they had 2 blood red parrots and a giant danio in the tank. The tank was disgusting. Algae everywhere, filter clogged,
Just horrible. But now it has 2 airstones, cleaned out everything, new decorations, and new fish. Here's there stock list.

2 tiger barbs

2 really big algae eaters

3 neon tetras that I believe have ich ):

And 4 black skirt tetras.

I'm assuming you mean your local public library ... And not a library room / study at your home. If so, mention to them that the two TB's will probably eventually bully the other fish as they mature (assuming they're juveniles).
Adding another 4-5 will go a long way to shifting their aggression on each other.

Also ...mention to Turn up the heater in the tank to 88F if there is Ich. I'm wagering If the tank was filthy a few weeks ago, I'd give them another few weeks ... Maybe months before you see the same. Your indicator will be if they treat the possible Ich issue.

Write a letter to your newspaper. Waste and neglect in gov't is a favorite topic of any newspaper. Also give it an animal abuse twist, and then in that letter volunteer to maintain the tank if the library buys the supplies or a local pet store donates them.

I'd go bug the pet stores and see if they will donate anything. If they say no, in your letter you can say "I asked PetsTown (or whoever) to assist with some supplies or a discount and they declined." I bet you'd get a call the next day and they'd donate a little bit.

I'm telling you, a little public shame about a gov't office does wonders for results. They usually snap to attention and cure the problem so that they stop getting mentioned by the newspaper.

Good luck. And if you're lucky, you'll get to maintain an extra tank and it will feel like your own. Watching people enjoy something you worked on is very rewarding.

hpiguy said:
I'd go bug the pet stores and see if they will donate anything. If they say no, in your letter you can say "I asked PetsTown (or whoever) to assist with some supplies or a discount and they declined." I bet you'd get a call the next day and they'd donate a little bit.

I'm telling you, a little public shame about a gov't office does wonders for results. They usually snap to attention and cure the problem so that they stop getting mentioned by the newspaper.

Good luck. And if you're lucky, you'll get to maintain an extra tank and it will feel like your own. Watching people enjoy something you worked on is very rewarding.

Yes, either write in to the local paper, OR call the local news channel. They may bring tv cameras down and put it on tv. That will def. Get some attention.

My local Chinese restraunt had a 55 gallon tank with an arrowana for a while. Then it was a pair of geophagus. Now it's filled with 40+ swordtails that are malnourished. The lighting is terriable,the background is faded. I want to do a make over but the same thing might happen.

bettaowner said:
My local Chinese restraunt had a 55 gallon tank with an arrowana for a while. Then it was a pair of geophagus. Now it's filled with 40+ swordtails that are malnourished. The lighting is terriable,the background is faded. I want to do a make over but the same thing might happen.

I know what you mean, Chinese buffet near me has what I believe is a 265gal in the wall 2 arrowanas @15-18" and I'm guessing like 30 blood parrots and couple other fish that probably don't belong in there. I just keep thinking it could be so nice if the owners would just try a little harder

bettaowner said:

Makes you wonder where your seafood comes from at that restraunt.

Kind of on the flipside of this, my local pharmacy has a well-maintained 200 gallon SW reef. It does have algae, but from what I read, algae is an indicator that the tank can grow corals. (Which the tank has many of). I absolutely love watching that tank. They have a blue tang, a couple yellow tangs, a mandarin of some sort, 2 ocellarus clownfish, and 2 black clownfish. There is a bunch of other stuff, but I am strictly a freshie so I couldn't ID them. I must have looked like a dork, but I went in there, I just walked in, sat down in front of the tank, and left an hour and a half later. I am almost positive, though, that this tank is maintained by a business, and not by the pharmacy itself.

At a Chinese restaurant near us there's a 40 gallon with 3 red parrot cichlids... Atleast the waters clean-looking and there's a"don't tap the tank" sign.

At the children's hospital here they have tanks everywhere from fresh to salt. The saltwater tanks that they have look good and nicely stocked. The freshwater tanks must be a different company that takes care of them. I almost took a picture a while back to post on here, because I couldn't believe my eyes. It looked to be a 55g on the one that I was going to take a pic of. It had full grown parrot Cichlids that were around 8". They could barely move because this fat catfish that was over 2 foot long took up all the room. It couldn't swim nor turn it just sat on the bottom and never moved. Me and my son sat in front of the tank off and on for 3 days so I could say something but nobody ever came around. I was disgusted so I know how and what you mean.

Last edited:
One of my doctors has a 220 gallon African ciclid tank that's stunning. It's professionally maintained by a shop about an hour away. Amazing tank with a wet dry filter and tons of rock. All of the fish were captive bred at the shop.

My doctor's office as a small betta bowl with the plants blocking off the air.

My teacher has a gallon Betta bowl on her desk. I talked her into getting a 3 gal. It's not the best but its what I could do.

Back
Top Bottom