Light and algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
I changed to sand about a month ago. The sand developed a layer of green where the light hits it (nothing in caves or under decorations). I feed lightly and change water regularly so I don't think it is nitrates. I was running lights 14 hours a day, and have a couple hours a day where light from a window across the room gets the tank. I have reduced my light to 8 hours right now. Can't do anything about tank placement.

How long should it be before I started to see the algae disappear? Should I go less than 8 hours of light? Should I just leave the lights off for a few days? I have a marineland LED and could also just run the moon light.

Thanks in advance.

The less you run the light, the better, so long as you aren't trying to grow live plants. If you can leave it off for a few days or a week and just use the moon light, it might help to combat some of the algae that has already grown.

The natural sunlight will continue to be a problem however. Nothing is better at growing algae than natural light :).

What are your nitrates testing at? Most likely this is a lighting issue, but it wouldn't hurt to review any potential excess nutrients you may have in the water.

My nitrates are usually at or less than 10.

I guess I will leave the light off for a while. I will look to see if I can get the tank in another area of the room, but I don't think that will happen.

Back
Top Bottom