Light for planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FWFishTanks

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I am starting a 75 gallon low/ mid light planted tank and i was wondering if if this light would be fine. Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting If so, what bulbs would you guys recommend? Also, could this light support star grass? The tank is 18" deep.

I would go with the Odyssea Quad fixture for $98.90 from Aquatraders over the Solarmax double fixture for $171.70 (+$24.99 shipping).

Or..... You could go led and not bother with those pesky, expensive bulb swaps..

LEDs would work on a planted tank? I did not think they were strong enough.

Try out something from Finnex - they've got more than decent build quality and the LEDs are strong enough to grow most things you would want in a tank that's 18" deep.

I've been using a Finnex Ray 2 on my 60g cube (24" deep) w/ injected CO2 and ferts. I'm successfully growing some medium light plants including stauragyne repends, anubias nana, and some cardinalis plant (don't remember the exact name). I added DHG not too long ago, and I'm seeing reasonable success with that so far too (although no carpeting yet). I'm relatively new to planted tanks myself, but I have no complaints about the build quality of the light or its output so far.

There's a link from Amazon - but you might be able to get it even cheaper from an online aquarium vendor.
http://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Ray2-Aquarium-Daylight-30-Inch/dp/B00BDDIPAU

I have a finnex planted plus on a 16" tank and it's growing med light plants really well.. It will cost you around $120, think of how much it will cost to replace those t5 tubes twice a year..

+1 to brookster's post.
I have a 29 gal (18 in deep) as well and he suggested the finnex planted plus. No complaints so far.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399653443.584213.jpg

+1 to brookster's post. I have a 29 gal (18 in deep) as well and he suggested the finnex planted plus. No complaints so far.
planted plus fanboy picture time! This was a month ago, the rare ow leaf has carpeted like crazy and the rotala has pinked up quite a bit..

image-3662687982.jpg

Finnex planted + is a great light and a great price ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399666313.628950.jpg

That is a nice looking tank. That Finnex is emitting a lot of light! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm pretty impressed with it! Considering the massive hunk of crap led rig I paid almost twice for.. Let's just say it rymes with ocuen.

Lol. I was in Petsmart and noticed that they carried National Geographic LED fixtures. I did not see any 6000-6500 k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, that NG stuff is way overpriced. And I have a hard time buying any accessories in a brick and mortar store, unless it's on clearance or something.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yah, I would never buy a high output fixture from Petsmart. I have three big tanks: two with T5s and one with a Kessil A150W Amazon Sun. I had doubts about LEDs, but my plants pearl under the Kessil so I am now a believer on LEDs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the difference between finnex ray 2 and planted +?

Back
Top Bottom