Light Length

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caige

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay - I have read all the articles and I know it can vary.. just wanted some opinions here.

I have 125G 6ft long tank with only a 48in light that consists of dual 50/50 actinic 135w and dual 150W HQI MH.

Do you think it is too much to turn my Actinic's on at noon and off at 10p? During this I will have my HQI MH on at 2p and off at 9p.

It's a tank that currenlty consists of the following

• 2 tangs (3in each)
  • 1 algea blenny
  • 1 candy shrimp
  • 1 saddle clown
  • 1 frogspawn
  • 1 bubble tip
  • 1 yellow polyp
  • 1 brain
  • 1 flower pot
  • 10 small snails
  • 3 large snails.
No Fuge but do have a 20gallon sump with bio and skimmer

Watcha think?

I dont see any problem with running the actinics but I do see a problem with lighting on the two ends of your tank if the lighting is centered. Just make sure your corals are in the middle of your system and not on the ends.

Yup...all corals are in 48'' span of the light (which is centered). So you don't think the MH's will be on too long (7hrs)?

Currnently I have the Actinics on from noon to 10p and the MH's on from 2-5p.... but the problem is my flower pot and duncan close up instantly when I shut the Halides off... but if I keep them on -- they look awesome. Just don't want to have algea or "burn" problems.

Thanks for your advice!

I personnally dont think think 7 hrs is too much. Maybe just have the actinics come on 1 hour before and go out 1 hr after. Just thinking out loud.

Back
Top Bottom