Light needed for fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giffmastaflex

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm going to be getting a 30 gal today and was wondering if just the light coming in the window will be enough for the fish? I won't be having plants if I do I'll put lights in it but the fish I'm looking at are barbs tetras and possibly shrimp. This tank will most likely to be a food breeding tank for my larger tanks/fish

Lighting and Aquarium Fish

I'm going to be getting a 30 gal today and was wondering if just the light coming in the window will be enough for the fish? I won't be having plants if I do I'll put lights in it but the fish I'm looking at are barbs tetras and possibly shrimp. This tank will most likely to be a food breeding tank for my larger tanks/fish

Hello giff...

Outside light or room light is fine for aquarium fish. They really don't need anything else beside a time that will mimic dusk or night. Without both, their reproductive process will be negatively affected.

I have a "terratope" tank in my basement that gets only ambient (room) light from a couple of pole lamps for about 12 hours per day, there's no sunlight that ever reaches the tank. The fish are fine and reproduce on a regular basis.

B

I've always heard that yes they need to stay on a cycle of day & night, but also not to have aquariums in front of windows. Idk why really other than it promotes algae growth & clouds the water. I just use led's 8 hrs a day on mine.

I have a tank that only gets day light. The bulb Burt out on the tank a while ago and have not replaced it yet. There have been no negative effects to my tank due to natural sunlight.

Back
Top Bottom