Light Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian086

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi Ian! Hope you're well. Looks like a good fixture to me. 48w total would give you a tiddly(How do you like that term, lol) more than 3 watts per gallon. That would put you in med/high to high lighting. You could grow just about any plant you want to. Just remember with high light you'll need a carbon source and good ferts to keep up with the plant's increased metabolism. If you need any help just shout accross the pond at me. OS.

Hi. I want to set-up a 15g planted tank. Plants yet to be decided yet but I want to go with medium light plants. I just wanted any light pros to help me with this fixture. Would I achieve a medium light tank with this fixture. Thanks...

NEW T5 HO Aquarium Overhead Lighting Marine Reef Fish Tank 10000K 2X24W 39W 54W | eBay

PS... I realise this is a marine bulb set-up but I can buy new bulbs for a planted tank.

I've seen those before and there pretty good. Nice and bright. But like what old scales said, your gonna need ferts and co2. I'm not sure if I read right but I think your allowed to choose between marine and tropical.

+2 that is a lot of light but if you like the fixture and still want a solid medium, find a way to raise the fixture a few inches maybe more. Otherwise I'm sure there are better options for your preference.

Hi Ian! Hope you're well. Looks like a good fixture to me. 48w total would give you a tiddly(How do you like that term, lol) more than 3 watts per gallon. That would put you in med/high to high lighting. You could grow just about any plant you want to. Just remember with high light you'll need a carbon source and good ferts to keep up with the plant's increased metabolism. If you need any help just shout across the pond at me. OS.
Cheers OS. That's great news, I was hoping to be at least medium light. I did plan on using liquid carbon and some dry ferts, EI method. You shouldn't have offered your help...haha. Now i'm gonna fill your PM inbox with stupid questions lol. Did you get my last PM, my offer, is that a good plan!!!!
Yeah love the term. I'll teach you more of the local lingo, when you come 'home'....haha. You've no excuse, now that your retired!!!!

I've seen those before and there pretty good. Nice and bright. But like what old scales said, your gonna need ferts and co2. I'm not sure if I read right but I think your allowed to choose between marine and tropical.
Yeah i'm planning on liquid carbon and dry ferts. I just wanted to get the right lights first!!!. I emailed them about the 'marine' or 'tropical' light set-up. Should have an answer tomorrow.....hopefully!!!

+2 that is a lot of light but if you like the fixture and still want a solid medium, find a way to raise the fixture a few inches maybe more. Otherwise I'm sure there are better options for your preference.
Cheers. I wanted to get a decent light and when I saw this fixture my eyes light up...haha. I thought it was too good to be true, especially at that price. As some of you know and other members from this side of the pond will testify, it's VERY hard to get decent lights or other equipment, at a decent price. It's usually stupid money, that I haven't got!!!!

Also to add to the original question, would the 90cm(2x39w) version of this fixture do on my 55g. Again to bring it to at least medium light. There is also a 4x39w version, which I suspect might be a bit of 'overkill'???. The tank is 100cm wide.
As you can tell, i'm a complete noob with lights and plants!!!. Thanks, I really appreciate all your help....

So your wondering if the 90cm fixture will fit on your 100 cm tank? 4 bulbs will definitely be overkill for med light. It'll be at least around the medium area of high light.

The 2-bulb fixture should be fine on the 55. I have something very similar (if not the exact same thing) on my 55. I was unsure where I was at lighting-wise, as most of the stuff I was growing was FAIRLY low light (crypts, ludwigia, bacopa, wisteria). However, I threw in some downoi and staurogyne repens, and they have been growing VERY well - so I think I am definitely in the medium range at least. For ferts I am doing PPS-Pro and liquid carbon.

I am actually not using the brackets (probably not the best idea, it is bound to fall one of these days) but the saved 3" probably does increase PAR at the bottom at least a little bit. One of the brackets came broken, and I just didnt want to deal with it so I didnt use them :oops:

The 4-bulb fixture definitely would get you high light, however at that point you would probably need to get pressurized co2 and all that jazz (which can take a huge toll on your wallet).

The 2-bulb fixture should be fine on the 55. I have something very similar (if not the exact same thing) on my 55. I was unsure where I was at lighting-wise, as most of the stuff I was growing was FAIRLY low light (crypts, ludwigia, bacopa, wisteria). However, I threw in some downoi and staurogyne repens, and they have been growing VERY well - so I think I am definitely in the medium range at least. For ferts I am doing PPS-Pro and liquid carbon.

I am actually not using the brackets (probably not the best idea, it is bound to fall one of these days) but the saved 3" probably does increase PAR at the bottom at least a little bit. One of the brackets came broken, and I just didnt want to deal with it so I didnt use them :oops:

The 4-bulb fixture definitely would get you high light, however at that point you would probably need to get pressurized co2 and all that jazz (which can take a huge toll on your wallet).
I got a reply from the ebay seller, she said it only comes with a blue and white light, prefitted. Not a big deal really, i'll just replace the blue bulb.
Bud29 is your light just resting on the top of the tank. The light model for my 55g only comes in 90cm or 120cm. It doesn't say anything about the brackets being adjustable, so i'm guessing it won't fit my 55g. My 55g is 100cm long???.
I plan on using liquid carbon and the EI method...I want to walk before I can run....haha

My 55 gal is 48" long. 48" is closer to 120 cm. I think yours may be 120 cm? I did the math and 100 cm is more around 39".

I got a reply from the ebay seller, she said it only comes with a blue and white light, prefitted. Not a big deal really, i'll just replace the blue bulb.
Bud29 is your light just resting on the top of the tank. The light model for my 55g only comes in 90cm or 120cm. It doesn't say anything about the brackets being adjustable, so i'm guessing it won't fit my 55g. My 55g is 100cm long???.
I plan on using liquid carbon and the EI method...I want to walk before I can run....haha

Yeah, it is just resting on top of the tank. I think you want the 120 cm fixture.

My 55 gal is 48" long. 48" is closer to 120 cm. I think yours may be 120 cm? I did the math and 100 cm is more around 39".
I'm just after measuring it, 100(l)x40(w)x50(h). It's actually 52.35g. It must not be 'standard' size!!!

Yeah, it is just resting on top of the tank. I think you want the 120 cm fixture.
Yeah, I guess that's the only choice. I was hoping to have a fixture that actually connected to the tank but I guess I could just do what you have done. I could cover the ends to reduce light over-spill??.

That's what in thinking too. 90 is prob too small and would just fall in. 120 seems like the length of a 55.
120 it is. Not point in frying the fish....haha

I'm just after measuring it, 100(l)x40(w)x50(h). It's actually 52.35g. It must not be 'standard' size!!!

Yeah, I guess that's the only choice. I was hoping to have a fixture that actually connected to the tank but I guess I could just do what you have done. I could cover the ends to reduce light over-spill??.

120 it is. Not point in frying the fish....haha

What???? 52.35 g?? Do they actually sell those tanks? :p
It's definitely not standard size. You could cover the ends if you want. What are you gonna use to cover the ends?

What???? 52.35 g?? Do they actually sell those tanks? :p
It's definitely not standard size. You could cover the ends if you want. What are you gonna use to cover the ends?
Yeah it is a bit odd alright....haha. It's from a German company. Tanks are ridiculously priced over here, so I picked that up for $200(new) from our equivalent of Craigslist. Similar size 'branded' tanks are $600-$800 in a LFS. No dollar per gallon sales over here i'm afraid!!!
PS... I just found a similar light for a 100cm, so maybe not too uncommon after all....

I know that usually the exact volume of a tank slightly differs from what it is labeled as - I know a 29g is actually a bit over 28, a 65g is 67.3 I believe, etc. etc. - not sure if that is at play here.

Yeah it is a bit odd alright....haha. It's from a German company. Tanks are ridiculously priced over here, so I picked that up for $200(new) from our equivalent of Craigslist. Similar size 'branded' tanks are $600-$800 in a LFS. No dollar per gallon sales over here i'm afraid!!!
PS... I just found a similar light for a 100cm, so maybe not too uncommon after all....

$200 for the "55" gal alone!! That is really expensive! Maybe a 52 gallon tank is a new type of tank nowadays. :lol:
And $600-800 in an lfs!?! That's ridiculous! I could get so many high tech stuff with that money. :eek:

I know that usually the exact volume of a tank slightly differs from what it is labeled as - I know a 29g is actually a bit over 28, a 65g is 67.3 I believe, etc. etc. - not sure if that is at play here.

That usually happens but from a supposedly 55 gal tank to be really around 52 gal is a significant difference. That around 3 gallons. The ones you know only differ at around .5 gallons.

That usually happens but from a supposedly 55 gal tank to be really around 52 gal is a significant difference. That around 3 gallons. The ones you know only differ at around .5 gallons.

I just put the dimensions of a 55 into a volume calculator, I got 52.4 gallons. It appears that the tank is a regular 55 after all ;)

I just put the dimensions of a 55 into a volume calculator, I got 52.4 gallons. It appears that the tank is a regular 55 after all ;)

Wow.... So my "55 gallon" tank is really a 52 gal tank XD. Next time someone asks me what tanks I have, I'll say I have a 52.4 gal tank. They will prob be like "Huh, they sell those tanks??". :lol:

Wow.... So my "55 gallon" tank is really a 52 gal tank XD. Next time someone asks me what tanks I have, I'll say I have a 52.4 gal tank. They will prob be like "Huh, they seek those tank??". :lol:
Or you could use UK gallons. Then you'll have a 43.6g tank. It just got even smaller....haha

Back
Top Bottom