Light requirements for guppy grass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteelersFan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been wanting to breed guppies for a while now so I decided to set up a 10 gallon tank as an addition to my 14 gallon and 38 gallon tanks to breed guppies. Right now in my 10 gallon tank, I have a house lamp with a 13 watt fluorescent bulb. It is rated at 2600k which is low by aquarium lighting standards, but since guppy grass is a low light plant, will it do ok?

2600K is the wrong spectrum. The plants can't utilize much of the light at that spectrum. Somewhere between 6500-8000K is the right color temp for plants.

Ok, so if I were to get a 13 watt bulb at 6500k, would it be enough lighting for guppy grass in a 10 gallon tank?

That would work fine. The GG is a floating plant, so it would be close to the light. Are you using any ferts. That would also help it grow faster.

I fertilize my 38 gallon with 96 watts of lighting with seachem comprehensive, so I could use a little of that. Mainly, I want it to be a low tech guppy fry only tank. No co2, bare bottom tank without gravel, just filter, heater, light, and some guppy grass

I know that color spectrum has nothing to do with light intensity, but a 6500k bulb is much better for plants than the 2700k I have as it simulates daylight much better

I know that color spectrum has nothing to do with light intensity, but a 6500k bulb is much better for plants than the 2700k I have as it simulates daylight much better
I was just confused by the way you stated it. My apologies.

Yea, I did word it badly. I was wondering if 1.3 wpg is enough for guppy grass. Or would java moss be a better option?

Yea, I did word it badly. I was wondering if 1.3 wpg is enough for guppy grass. Or would java moss be a better option?

Watts per gallon is an irrelevant way of measuring light. PAR (Photosynthetic Active Radiation) is the correct way to measure light. It is because say you have 48watts of T5HO over a 20 gallon tall, which is 16inches high, and 48 watts over a 20 long. The light intensity over the 20 long will be substantially higher because of the shorter distance, while the WPG remains the same.

The guppy grass should do fine for you.

Back
Top Bottom