Lighting advice? 50g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joebro3333

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I bought a 50 gallon tank (top fin) from Petsmart I bought it there because we have had bad experience trying to buy and sell used tanks. When I got it I noticed that it only has 18 inch t8 bulbs on each side. I know I can't find an idea wattage per gallon bulb what about kelvin? Should I just go that route? I have Java moss and a new Amazon sword going with easy to manage plants (low tech) I was thinking either aqueon plant growth 18inch. Or zoo med 6500k? I need Alittle advice because I am in college and budget is tight. Thank you for reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Need someone to help?

6500K would be better. I don't know the kelvin rating of the Aqueon plant bulbs, but for some reason aquarium bulbs marketed as "plant" bulbs are generally not as good as the ones marked "daylight" or "full-spectrum". FYI, those bulbs are probably overpriced. Another brand like GE or Philips would cost less and work just as well, just make sure it's marked 6500K.

Should I look at lowes and Menards?

Try Lowes, that's where I got 6500k cfl bulbs and use a clamp on shop light. As long as its full spectrum. I don't think they have them at Home depot, at least I haven't seen them there. I have used them on my 29gal and still on my 20 gal. You can either clamp them on the rim or lay them on the glass top. Hope this helps.

6500 k cfl

Here's a pic of the bulb I use

Attachments

• ATT_1424744902716_20150223_212010.jpg
    ATT_1424744902716_20150223_212010.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 55
I got mine at Home Depot! Just make sure to read labels carefully. I use 6500 k 23w (100w equivalent) daylight bulbs. A pack of 4 was about $15 and the clamp lights were $9 each

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom