Lighting Ballast help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave91

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all, relatively new to the forum but am enjoying all the incredible reading from the entire community.

I have a lighting ballast in a used hood that will not turn on. I have replaced the bulb and also have sought help from the Lfs. They informed me that the small socket visible in the two photos is for a fuse.

Can anyone confirm this to be true? If so, where could I possibly try to find the part? (home depot and lowe's were of no luck).

If it is not for a fuse, can anyone guide me in the right direction as to what is supposed to go in this smaller socket?

Thank you everyone for your time!

Dave

Attachments

• image-1934978396.jpg
    image-1934978396.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 61
  • image-4244809011.jpg
    image-4244809011.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 60
The socket is for a starter. It is necessary for the fixture to light up. Newer types have self starting ballasts which don't have a separate starter. With starter fixtures, you have to hold the start button down until the tube lights.
I would guess that if you can't get one at Lowes or HD a hardware store or electrical supply might have it.

Bill! Thank you! I will try Home Depot and Lowe's again now that I know it's a starter instead of a fuse. Thank you so much!

I hope you find one with out too much trouble. I still see them on some fixtures, but I would consider them dinosaurs. You may have to get a specific one for the tube type/size you are trying to light.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom