Lighting, can you tell me what I have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is the lighting that came with the tank. I am guessing its pretty old. I took some pics though if you could tell me what I have, that would be great! All the lights plug into the big black box (that weighs about about 50 lbs) There are three smaller things that have bulbs and two places for what look like florescents (the wires burned up on those)

The two skinny bulbs on the end say 175watts
and I took a pic of what the middle bulb says, its more round than the other two. Anything you can tell me would be great!

It is a coralife metal halide ballast. Check out www.esuweb.com

Should be able to get the info. Depending on how old the bulbs are you may want to replace them.

Ok, between 50 and a hundred bucks PER bulb??!! These suckers better last a long time. I am going to have to replace one at a time. :?

MH's should be replaced ever year. Coralvue makes some nice bulbs that are a bit cheaper than most.

So are these bulbs interchangeable? I noticed some of the same watts have different numbers after that, like 10,000k. What exactly does that mean?

That middle bulb is 5500 and should not be used on a reef, IMO. 6500k is about the yellowest bulb you would want.

5500-6500 = yellow light
10000k = white light
10k - 20k = white to blue light
20000k = blueish light

6500 Iwaskis are supposed to be awesome for coral frowth but they have a yellow tint. You can suppliment with actinic but I would just go for something between 10k and 20k. I use Coral Vue 14ks and and love them. I also suppliment with actinic so I get a blueish white light. I had 10k's before and liked them. 14k's seem to be the rave right now too :)

Back
Top Bottom