Lighting & CO2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwish8990

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm thinking of starting a freshwater planted tank. My hardware currently consists of a 55Gal tank, Fluval 404, maxi-jet 1200 powerhead and jager 200W heater. I need to purchase some lighting.

Could anyone tell me what my WPG would be on a 55Gal tank using this fixture?

http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=13

Also has anyone done CO2 injection into a Fluval 404? I'm wondering how would the CO2 system connect to the fluval? Through the intake hose? If so how do you seal the tube that would run into the fluval intake hose? Poke a hole and silicon it?

Thanks.

That lighting would have an output (according to our recent math) of about 350 Watts of light (21000 lumens).. So somewhere around 6.5WPG.. perhaps the 2 x 65w fixtures would be better?

The fluval can airlock.. tho it's not likely, it can happen and that could get ugly.. adding a power reactor off the output of the fluval would work wonders.

Great price on that fixture, I paid 99.00 for it on Ebay myself. Since it's a CF, you will have just over 8w/g. (EDITED - (260*1.3/55=6.1w/g) I have it on a 75G, and I get 4.5w/g (edited). You will definitely like that light system. But will need CO2 injection for sure. Will be able to grow just about anything you want.

The only downfall I have to say on the fixture is that the fans tend to get noisy. Vibrates a little. I might take mine apart and see if I can do anything to quiet it down some. Just vibrates a little and causes the light shield that slides out to change your bulbs to vibrate. Other than that, no problems, and lots of light.

Also, if you get that fixture, don't get actinic bulbs. I got mine and I put in 2 6400k bulbs and 2 12000k bulbs. Looks awsome. :)

I also got the legs and moonlights with mine for free.

Is there a good graph or reference of some kind that will clue me in on the wpg equivalents between different bulbs? I don't understand the incandescent, fluorescent, power compact fluorescent, halide, differences really....

The fixture you are looking at, here's what they have so far, from what I read in the other post.

260w*1.3/55g=6.1w/g

In a reef tank, it isn't, but in freshwater, 6.1WPG can cause the enviroment to become very picky (as it is in nature).. If you would like to order the 4x65w fixture, then I will just let you know you may have to turn half the bulbs off.. unless you want to simulate the sun :)

Here's another idea. If you want the LED's as well, the fixture has 3 switches on it. Just turn on 1 set of lights, and have the 2nd set as a back-up if one of the other bulbs goes out. Then you won't have to be in a rush to go out and find a new bulb. Just a thought. Plus it's a great price, I probably wouldn't pass it up.

Lonewolfblue said:
Here's another idea. If you want the LED's as well, the fixture has 3 switches on it. Just turn on 1 set of lights, and have the 2nd set as a back-up if one of the other bulbs goes out. Then you won't have to be in a rush to go out and find a new bulb. Just a thought. Plus it's a great price, I probably wouldn't pass it up.

I didn't think of it that way. Good point. Thanks for the information guys... I will order it tonight. :)

hi...

And if you have a bulb choice, go with the 6400k's. They are really nice. And get rid of the actinics and get all the same bulb. If not, then if you can order extra bulbs, get some spares. If you can't find cheap bulb packs, then try Ebay. That's where I get all my stuff.

Try Atlanta lights for bulbs. The aquatrader bulbs are poor quality and I didn't like the spectrums. I changed all of mine out and keep the old ones as emergency spares just in case.

I called aquatraders last night to place my order and they informed me that they have requested a new fixture for freshwater/planted tanks to be made by the manufacturer and it should be on their website this weekend. She suggested I wait till the weekend to check it out and order. Its supposed to have better bulbs for freshwater tanks. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom