Lighting for 37 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zactheninja

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have what I believe is a 37-40 gallon aquarium that's 30x22x12.
What would be suitable lighting for it so I could keep corals growing and healthly?
And what would keep the heat down so I could keep my canopy on?

According to the formula ( length x width x height in inches divided by 231) that tank is a 35g.
Your best bet would be T5 or LED.
LED would be cooler, and much more powerful.
T5 would have more heat and you would have to replace the bulbs, yearly.

Is there a good brand of LEDs that would work for a 35?
Or how many tubes would I need for the t5 bulbs to reach the bottom of the tank?

There are many different brands of LED, that would work. Ranging in price from about $200-$600, per 20" unit. Many people have had good luck with the Taotronics dimmable 120w unit, bottom of the price point. Others, who can afford it, love the Radions by Ecotech, near top of the price point.
Besides those a 4 bulb 24" T5 unit (30" overall ), would work as well.
Both would light your tank quite well. The T5 might not do some higher light SPS, but would definitely work with some lower light SPS. SPS being the most light demanding of all.

What would be the "lower sps" corals?
And would the t5 work with a canopy? (without that the tank loses a lot of its IT)

Zactheninja said:
What would be the "lower sps" corals?
And would the t5 work with a canopy? (without that the tank loses a lot of its IT)

Montipora would be a lower light SPS. Not too sure of others, all SPS like light, but some need less than others. I had Monti in my previous tank, under less light than now, that did well.
They sell retro kits for T5, that you could modify your hood with, to fit in your canopy.

Back
Top Bottom