Lighting for a 20 long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcgolg76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In the process of gathering equipement for setting up my first sw tank. Have experience with fw. The biggest thing I am unclear on is lighting. I understand that corals need extremely strong lighting. What do I get for a 20 long that won't break the bank. I am not very handy so only super easy DIY projects will work. Can you be very specific in what I should get. Info I researched so far is pretty confusing. Only want simple corals
Ty

Looked into taotronics but not very clear about what size. Also read somewhere that those types of lights are so bright that they have to be hung way over the tank.

Any other suggestions. Is 150 dollars a reasonable budget for lighting. Any more and I probably will go Fish and live rock

yes they are bright but they are dimable
you can choose how bright or dim you want them
and the best part this light can be used with a future upgrade
they support lps , sps , softies so you can grow many different corals
there on ebay going for under $100. at the moment
this one is a hair more in cost
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120W-LED-Aquarium-Light-Dimmable-Reef-Coral-Blue-White-LED-Fish-Tank-Marine-Lamp/301122688196?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222006%26algo%3DSIC.FITP%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107083349%26meid%3D5646670464778797727%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D20140107083349%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D160885188543&afsrc=1

I have one over my tank and I love it
and the best part not having to replace bulbs every 3/6 months like I used too
the cost of replacing bulbs 1X paid for my light
now that extra money can go to corals or what ever is needed
it's win win IMO

Now if I bought that type of fixture does that include everything or do i still have to buy bulbs

no you wouldn't need to buy any bulbs
the only thing is you need to figure out how to hang it
some hang it off 2 hooks in ceiling
or you could use a flowerpot hanger mounted to the wall like I did
the light is fairly heavy so it would need to be mounted securely

How long would it last? Since it is led would it be a bit easier on my electric bill

So been looking into getting an AIO tank and decided I would be better off using my 20 long. Still not sure what to do about lights. The taotronics look like a good deal but the problem is that they seem to need to be hung way over your tank. The spot where I want the tank has only 13 inches of clearence for lights. Have built in shelves above it. Doubt that would work for taotronics. Any advice about what else I could use for lighting that will fit my space. Prefer led and to be under 200$. Interested in growing soft corals and mushrooms.

you can hang them like this
img_2984819_0_03120688e45e9351230fcb7efb1ba436.jpg

you can hang them as high or low as you like
remember these lights are dimable so you can adjust them to what you need
the hanging cables can be doubled up to make them shorter if need be

just thought of this you can also drill the shelf run cable through holes and secure the cable from up top to what ever height you need

Has anybody tried the current USA orbit led lights? 139$ on amazon

Fancy looking light that lacks the punch for higher light stuff. Just my $.02 but I would get a light that will support any thing because I guarantee the corals you think are cool when you first start and a year down the line will be different. The Tao style panel is cheaper and WAY more powerful.

Fancy looking light that lacks the punch for higher light stuff. Just my $.02 but I would get a light that will support any thing because I guarantee the corals you think are cool when you first start and a year down the line will be different. The Tao style panel is cheaper and WAY more powerful.

You are right. The features on that lighting do seem cool but the taotronics gives me more options down the road. Looks like I can move the shelves up a bit and even remove one. How high above the tank should the taotronics be? Should I use a glass top or should the tank be topless?

To get full coverage you'll probably want to go12-16", mock it up and check but I pretty sure that's how high my RB value unit was over my 20. The top is up to you, I prefer topless and would use either the BRS mesh or egg crate over glass.

Do you know anything about the aquamana aq? Seems similar to the taotronics. Driving myself crazy. The more I research the more questions I have. Guess better to do now before I buy.

I use LEDs from BuildMyLED.com. They are fantastic, and can be had for a great price. If you can hold off till November, you can get a huge discount on their Black Friday sales.

The OP has mentioned he only wanted simple corals. I would assume soft corals which are mostly easy and don't really need high intensity lights like the sps need. If that is the case there are regular chep LED lights that can support mushrooms, filter feeders and etc. However, this one I recommend is a good bargain and can support any corals you want.

Full Spectrum 165W Dimmable LED Reef Coral Fish Tank Marine Aquarium Light Lamp | eBay

Back
Top Bottom