lighting for a 29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ringfinger

Aquarium Advice Freak
For some reason I didn't think about this before...but most 29 gallon aquariums only come with minimal lighting. Mine has a single 17 watt bulb. I much prefer the planted look, so this needs to change. Is there any way that I can juice up this light strip(All-Glass), or should I just break down and buy a new single bulb 65w strip?

let me know what the solution to your problem is. I have a 29 gal tank that comes only with 1 17 watt light also. i would like to keep some plants as well. thanks.

I just set up my 29G with a Coralife freshwater aqualight 65W, on top of an all-glass "twin-tube" glass top. Except for being a little darker at the ends due to 20" of light over a 30" tank, I'm pretty happy with the result.

I didn't look too hard at conversion possibilities though, since I bought the light before the tank. Not sure if you can salvage your existing fixture...

I just converted my 29gal to a planted tank just over a month now... the 65W coralife fixture costs around $60 online.... u can't beat that and that's what I ended up doing.
One of the sponsors here here sells 'em:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=31566;category_id=2543

I posted some pics in the planted forum showing my progress. If you're doing freshwater, be careful "not" to buy the one with the 50/50 bulb which is for saltwater. The above link should steer you right. Good luck!

I have a 29 and bought a dual strip light with two 17watt bulbs and can only grow low light plants. I wish I had paid a bit more and got the 65watt PC strip. Speaking from experience, I suggest the 65.

ringfinger said:
Mine has a single 17 watt bulb. I much prefer the planted look, so this needs to change.

I upgraded to a massive 20 watt bulb from Lowes. But, yeah, I'm not much help here.

Back
Top Bottom