Lighting OTHER than 6700k?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sudz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all, I'm building a discus tank, and don't necessarily want a High light tank - Just a planted tank with low-medium light (trying to avoid CO2)

There's a VERY good deal at a local import shop, 150 dollars for a T5H0 Fixture, Moon LED. It was designed for coral, but They are willing to put 6700k bulbs in it.

My question is... 108 watts (2 bulbs) will probably do what I need it to do. But 216 watts is overkill. 162 watts (3 Bulbs) would be on the higher side.

So I would want at least 2 6700k bulbs. My next question is: Would a different color bulb show of discus colors better? Grow more algae? Bleach plants? etc.

What setup would you do?

Right now, I just have the basics. Hygro, Java Fern, and crpyt

The fixture has three power switches - One for Moon lights (pretty much useless) One for 2 lights, and the other for the remaining 2 lights.

I was wondering if I could do 6700k during the day (2 bulbs) and then if a combination of 6700k and a 10000k would make the fish/colors stand out more? What causes more reflection? or Penetrates? Whats better for photography? i'm in a good position where I have lighting to spare, so I can look at "unnessary" lights for astetics. (provided there aren't negative outcomes)

Your Lighting Question

Good morning sudz...

I keep low light, low tech tanks and try to keep things as simple as possible. To me, your approach to lighting is pretty complex. But, if that works, then good.

First, the fish are indifferent to specific lighting, but they do need it and my tank timers are set to 12 hours on and 12 off. My tropical fish need a minimum of 10 hours per day, because their breeding habits do depend on lighting to an extent.

I keep 6500 K bulbs in my tanks, because the research I did said this bulb was closest to natural daylight at 5500 K.

As always, just one "waterkeeper's" humble opinion.

B

My question is... 108 watts (2 bulbs) will probably do what I need it to do. But 216 watts is overkill. 162 watts (3 Bulbs) would be on the higher side.
Watts means diddly squat. We need to know the height of the tank and the brand of the fixtures to tell what kind of light translates to what.

So I would want at least 2 6700k bulbs. My next question is: Would a different color bulb show of discus colors better? Grow more algae? Bleach plants? etc.

Here's the truth about color temperatures for bulbs: they actually only really dictate what color the human eye perceives. They CAN be indicative of plant usefulness, but that is absolutely not a rule.

What IS important is the spectrum. Most bulbs will grow plants (and algae) just fine, including 10kK, 6.5-6.7kK, and 5.5K. I think Hagen has a 18kK that people generally frown on for it's K rating, but it actually grows plants just fine because it has an appropriate spectrum. The exact color rating preferences has more to do with personal preference.

I was wondering if I could do 6700k during the day (2 bulbs) and then if a combination of 6700k and a 10000k would make the fish/colors stand out more? What causes more reflection? or Penetrates? Whats better for photography? i'm in a good position where I have lighting to spare, so I can look at "unnessary" lights for astetics. (provided there aren't negative outcomes)

Some people think actinics really make their fishes' color pop. I've never seen tropical fish/plants under actinics, so I really can't say. As far as which color is better for photography, it once again depends on what you like to see. Low wavelength light will penetrate better, but I don't think that's particularly useful for us...

Here's a nice link regarding like color:
T5HO 54W (48") K comparisons

As an end note, if you want THE absolute BEST bulb combination, buy Giesemann. Their Aquaflora + Midday is widely considered the best combination, or at the very least the most popular. I bought mine here:Giesemann High Output T5 HO Fluorescent Aquarium Lamps

I will forever more be putting Giessemann in my fixtures.

aqua_chem I have a GE Starcoat 6500k and Giesemann Aquaflora. Both are 39 watts T5HO.

What is your opinion on the GE Starcoat?

get5lamp1.jpg

Do you still recommend the Midday?

I've never used it so I can' really comment. GE makes some good bulbs (with their 9325K being probably the best PC available), and the spectrum looks fine.

I'm personally a big fan of a robust blue portion of the spectrum, as plants generally express red pigments as a defense mechanism against low wavelength/high energy light, and I personally think that a strong blue spectrum will bring out reds, and boy do I like me some reds!

Giesemann are known for bringing out colors. Heres a link to their spectrum:

Midday
Aquaflora

See that strong blue peak and hump in the blue/purple? That's what I bank on.

That is, of course, strictly my opinion. I'm positive starcoats work well, and I've known people to like them.

aqua_chem said:
I've never used it so I can' really comment. GE makes some good bulbs (with their 9325K being probably the best PC available), and the spectrum looks fine.

I'm personally a big fan of a robust blue portion of the spectrum, as plants generally express red pigments as a defense mechanism against low wavelength/high energy light, and I personally think that a strong blue spectrum will bring out reds, and boy do I like me some reds!

Giesemann are known for bringing out colors. Heres a link to their spectrum:

Midday
Aquaflora

See that strong blue peak and hump in the blue/purple? That's what I bank on.

That is, of course, strictly my opinion. I'm positive starcoats work well, and I've known people to like them.

Cool. I might have found my replacement in a few months.

Back
Top Bottom