Lighting Question - High/Mid/Low...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissSmish

Aquarium Advice Activist
How do you work out what type of lighting you have? I have worked out that I have 2x 13w flourescent bulbs (this is my tank: Aquatic Supplies Australia: Blue Planet SereneLife Kingdom 100 Aquarium (100L) ) and they both have 14,000K printed on the tube (I don't know if that applies to anything here.

I'm trying to work out if I need to do anything else for my plants, they seem to be doing well overall, with the exception of my dwarf pongol.

All I've managed to do so far is confuse myself and run around in circles... :facepalm: and I've read basically every thread on the forum on lighting over the last few days!

Help!

Your Lighting Question

How do you work out what type of lighting you have? I have worked out that I have 2x 13w flourescent bulbs (this is my tank: Aquatic Supplies Australia: Blue Planet SereneLife Kingdom 100 Aquarium (100L) ) and they both have 14,000K printed on the tube (I don't know if that applies to anything here.

I'm trying to work out if I need to do anything else for my plants, they seem to be doing well overall, with the exception of my dwarf pongol.

All I've managed to do so far is confuse myself and run around in circles... :facepalm: and I've read basically every thread on the forum on lighting over the last few days!

Help!

Hello Miss...

So, from your post you have a 25 gallon tank with 26 watts of florescent light. Your light isn't the spectrum recommended for planted tanks. Ideally, you want 6500K bulbs. This kind comes closest to natural daylight at 5500K. But you can try them and see how your plants grow.

You should have success with plants that require low to moderate light. Varieties of Anubias, Java fern, Cryptocoryne, Amazon sword are some good plants. You can also float stem plants like Anacharis, Water sprite, Water wisteria and Pennywort.

B

Thank you!!! So the higher the number on the tube the further from daylight it is? An I'm at low light at the moment? Awesome! Thank you again!

Your Lighting Question

Thank you!!! So the higher the number on the tube the further from daylight it is? An I'm at low light at the moment? Awesome! Thank you again!

You're welcome. If you have another question, feel free to ask it. I'm never too busy to chat about the tank keeping hobby.

B

Back
Top Bottom