Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Welsh

Aquarium Advice Freak
I see there are many lighting questions before me but none that seem to be the same as mine, so I'm going to ask it anyway :lol:

A couple of months ago I bought a 8 US gallon tank which didn't come with a hood or light, so ever since I have been trying to find a decent light which will let me grow plants such as, Anubias and Java Fern. I see people using ordinary desk lamps all the time and was just wondering whether these actually keep the plants alive, long term? Also what type of bulbs would be used, just an ordinary 40w bulb or something different?

The Wpg rules don't apply well to small tanks, but that lamp should be good, maybe even a little much. It does seem awfully expensive for a small lamp.

That's what I was thinking. I just can't seem to get my head around the lighting thing lol. Someone mentioned CFL 6500K, I have come across loads of CFL bulbs at my hardware store and such but how do I know what colour temp they are?

6500K is the color temperature. Higher numbers are bluer, lower numbers are more red. Look for "daylight" spectrum bulbs if you can't find any with the Kelvin scale rating.

That would be ok over an 8g. I use two bulbs similar to that over my 20L and my 29g and the plants in those tanks grow well.

That's good to know :) I haven't had the best of luck with plants in my 12gallon under a 15 watt T8 so I don't want to be buying plants just to have them die on me again lol.

This one has a higher watt but it doesn't say daylight, would it be the same thing?

Sorry to be such a pain with all my question lol

Let me clarify. I use two of those bulbs over my 29g and two more over my 20L. Just felt I needed to add that.

Was there supposed to be a link?

You have to be judicious in picking your plants. Unfortunately many LFSs sell bog plants as fully aquatic. They'll die and rot regardless of how much light you provide. Even my best LFSs aren't well versed in plants. It's best to know what you're looking at before buying. Don't go off the tag. An 18W CFL over an 8g should be good for low-light to possibly medium-light plants. The Wpg rules don't apply well to smaller tanks. It's complicated as to why.

Chances are that bulb is in the "warm white" color range. It's much more red than daylight bulbs and gives your tank a nasty yellow cast. Also, I have a feeling that's a 75W incandescent replacement bulb, not a 75W CFL. I believe over here that a 24W CFL is marketed as a replacement for a 75W incandescent bulb.

Ask all the questions you need. We're all here to learn. Lighting is far more complicated than most people understand.

I've been trying to find a round bulb, rather than the stick ones but have no clue what to look for when they don't say daylight haha. I think I will try the 18watt from the first link though and see how that goes :)

Back
Top Bottom