lighting question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marcinek101

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How much light do anemones, and clams need? I have 260 watts of light split evenly between 2 10k bulbs, and 2 atinic bulbs, in a 75 gallon reef. It works out to 3.4 watts per gallon. Do i need to plan on adding another 130 watt light strip? will more light hurt any fish, or inverts?

First Marcinek what type of light are you using, (i.e. halide, power compact, T5 etc.). Most anemones and clams require a lot of light with some clam species being the most light hungry animals we can keep, besides acros. My recommendation, if your using halides would be that 4-6 watts per gallon would work just fine and without halides 8-10 is sometimes recommended.

If you want to attempt clams with your current arrangement I would place the animals as high in the aquarium as possible so they get maximum saturation with the light.

I`m thinking another light strip will help esp. if you want to keep anenomes and clams. You`ll need to get a moderate light clam like a squamosa. I have one in my gallery.

Back
Top Bottom