lighting questions again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dang

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm still trying to decide on a lighting system for a 120gallon tank. I saw a kit that has 4 140 watt VHO bulbs for what seems like a reasonable price.
http://www.aquariumlight.com

So I have a few questions on this:

1. Is 520 watts or 4.6 watts per gallon considered 'moderate' lighting? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be 'high'.

2. What is the difference between a 'canopy' and a 'retrofit' kit?

3. What sort of coral and inverts could I keep under this lighting? I'd like to eventually have some mushrooms, gorgonians, polyps, things of that sort and maybe some anenomes (the kind that clownfish like to hang out in). I haven't really researched any of this yet and it would be later on after the tank is up and running for a while till I even think about adding in these things.

4. How long do VHO bulbs last on average before they would need to be replaced?

Thanks for your help!

1. I would say that would be moderate but you could do most things except sps's. Would sort of depend on the depth of the tank. Is that a 4' long tank? Is so that is pretty deep. To reach stuff on the bottom you might need stronger light. Would be ok for softies for sure though.

2. Canopy is a fixture that has the lights in it. It would sit on the tank or could be hung above. A retrofit is just the reflector and components. You will need to mount it in some sort of fixture.

3. You should be ok an all listed except maybe the anemone. Some species might be ok but it is better to have a stable, mature tank for these.

4. Not real sure on this but most PC and MH bulbs should be replaced about every year. I would guess VHO would be the same but maybe not.

Thanks for your reply. The tank is 5' long and 24" deep so I think I should be ok with those lights. Like I said it'll be a while before I even think about adding in some of the easier things to start with. Then later on when I know more I can add in some metal halides if I decide to add some anenomes.

So if I'll be building a hood to cover the top of the tank, a retrofit kit would be a better buy and that would just screw into the inside top of the hood?

Thanks again.

So if I'll be building a hood to cover the top of the tank, a retrofit kit would be a better buy and that would just screw into the inside top of the hood?

Definately. :)

Back
Top Bottom