Lighting Questions: Temp Color Mixing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I've been running a JBJ Nano Cube DX 12g for FW quite sometime (thus my user name) and I'm finally getting a bit tired of the stock 50/50 actinic bulbs which I know are meant for marine corals...LOL For a long time I was quite content with the blueish hue but now I'm considering switching up the bulbs. In the hood there are 2X24W PC 50/50 bulbs (10K/actinic).

I'm wondering how it would look to just switch one out for a 6500K or a 10000K? Will the blue hue not be as bad or would it still be overpowering that 'I should' replace both? If so, since I prefer the whiter lights over the warm light temps, should I go 1 X 10000K and 1 X 65000K or should I go 2 X 10000K?

If I did a 10000K and a 65000K, will the 65000K spectrum still be in there even if it's being mixed by a higher one, given that the bulbs are close together lighting up a confined space?

Also, I'm not sure if this is true, but I think the actinic lights are promoting the growth of this algae that blankets the rocks, DW ornament, and the back of my tank, not to mention the leaves of the plants and glass. The glass I can scrub off but the plants are another story. I do like how this particular algae (not sure they type) looks on the back wall and ornaments though... it sort of looks like the algae on the marimo moss balls (cladophora aegagropila)...LOL even so it most likely isn't... look at the pic below.

If you have a pic of your tank mixing any those color temps, I'd love to see it!

Here's a pic of my blue tank (oops... I forgot to scrub the right side of the glass)!... Notice the black river rock on the right is how the two rocks under the anubias used to look. Oh, and try not to laugh too hard because I really liked this blue lighting at first ;)...

6931674662_35194f8373_c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom