Lighting - Starting Over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pankelephant

Aquarium Advice Activist
I thought I was set with budget lighting - I purchased the Odyssea T5HO fixture last week. The problem is that I bought it from Aquatraders, who seem to have disappeared. Website down, number disconnected, emails unanswered, etc.. I filed a claim with Paypal and I'm sure I'll get my money back, but in the meantime, I need to get new lights. I've got a bit more money than I thought, so I'd like to get something a little nicer/more reliable.

It would be awesome if I could get some suggestions on fixtures to buy. Ones you've used that sucked or didn't suck, that sort of thing. I know bulbs are part of it and I think I've got that figured, I just don't know what I'm looking for with fixtures. I would like something that lets me grow anything. Do they make fixtures where you can choose which bulbs to have on at a time, so you can vary the lighting throughout the day? Whatever I end up with, it has to have legs to sit on the tank, I can't hang it. I'm looking in the $150 - $200 range, give or take, for a 55g FW tank (48").

Halp!

Yeah, that's important information, lol. Sorry about that. No CO2, I'll be dosing Excel and ferts. Most of the plants I'm thinking about are medium/med-high, but I don't want to be stuck there down the road. My stock will be exclusively South American - a few large-ish schools of tetra and a bunch of corys.

Lighting Your 55 G

Hello pank...

Depending on the plants you like to keep, you may not need to spend more than a $100.00 or so for good lighting. I use Solarmax lighting on some of my 55 G tanks and am very pleased with it. There are a good range of lamps you can use in the strip, depending on the requirements of your plants.

A company by the name of alphaprobreeders is a dealership in the Ohio area, relatively close to you. It might be worth looking into this source.

B

What kind of South Americans are you looking to get? A lot of South American cichlids will tear plants apart.

Thanks, BBradbury, I'll look in to those. The Amazon reviews are not promising, but I'll keep researching.

What kind of South Americans are you looking to get? A lot of South American cichlids will tear plants apart.

South American - tetras and cories. I'm not getting cichlids, so no worries there.

Any other suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom