Lighting suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacigia

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Everyone!

I have a question regarding what type of light to get for my 130g tank. My tank has the following plants:

Dwarf Hairgrass
Hemainthus Callitrichoides
Limnophila aromatica hippuroides
Ludwigia repens
Mermaid Weeds

And I have about 12 Blue Diamond Discus

Right now I'm using a 48" PC JEBO and I'm not very satisfied with the results. My tank is actually 60" but when I bought the jebo I didn't kno what I was doing and so my tank isn't completely covered in lighting. I don't want to spend alot of money maybe something under $200. Does anyone have any suggestions? I could use all the advise I can get. Thanks! :D

Well If your OK sticking with a 48" fixture this is highly recommended for the money:

Catalina Aquarium

Thats pretty much the only decent one for under $200 AFAIK

Hey thanks, well I dont like my 48" right now because the sides of my tank are being covered with light, do you think this one will? Also I have a question regarding the blue actinic, are these lights useful when it comes to planted tank? I hear thier only good for reef, but then again I dont really know. This is definately in my price range, do you have any experience with this light? The main thing that I want in lighting is optimal growth.

That fixture is the best for the money as I said, but I do not own it. All 4' fixtures are going to not be the best for a 6' tank obiviously. Will it work OK, sure, the fact is that your not going to find a good quality 6' fixture for less than $200 that has more wattage then the the 48" fixture

Actinics are no good for plants, if you call them and order it they will swap those for regular bulbs at no cost.

Here is a review thread on that light:
Product Review: Catalina Aquarium Solar T5 Light

If you're at all handy you might want to look into building a wooden canopy and then installing custom lighting. You might be able to mount your existing fixture to one side and then add a fixture to fill the gap on the other side. This could save you quite a bit of money and allow you to keep using the original fixture.

Keep in mind that with the plants you are looking at you'll want at least medium light (preferably high light) and carbon suppplementation. If you don't already have pressurized CO2, then that's going to run you at least as much as you're budgeting for the new light.

Thanks guys,

The Solaris looks great, I'll probably be getting that one. Appreciate the help!

Hmm this one looks great, and it would cover my tank completely! With that price though, would need to consult with the finance manager (wife...o no!)....thx speed!

the only issues is that after looking at it more, is that the bulbs are 16" long AFAIK, so you have small gaps between bulbs but it should be "even" and cover the sides much better than the 48"fixture.

For DIY and the best coverage 60" 80w T5's would be doable, 3 would give you 240W, its just finding a good price on ballast(s) and reflectors, the retrofits I have seen are not cheap, so??

Back
Top Bottom