Lighting upgrade - any advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanD

Aquarium Advice Regular
I currently have a 55 gallon tank, planted (wisteria, anubias, echnidorus, anacharis) and doing pretty well. My situation being what it is, I bought a pretty inexpensive hood when setting up, with a single fluorescent, ~40w.

Though I'm fairly happy with my current planting, I'd like to push a little ahead into some species that I know will require more light than .5-.7w/gal. I'm not ready to step up to CO2 yet, so ideally I'd like to go to something like 75-100w.

My question is this: Is there anyway to retrofit my current fixture with a higher wattage without breaking the bank? Anybody seen single T12 48" bulbs of that approximate wattage for sale (I haven't)? Alternatively, is there a relatively inexpensive fixture that I could pick up to replace my current one (about 48" x 3-1/2") that would take, say, 2 bulbs?

I would buy a fixture that fits and just use one bulb for plant light. 50/50 daylight bulb and one actinic bulb. This way you'll only be getting half the wattage of the fixture and can upgrade with just a bulb purchase. That one 50/50 bulb should keep you in low light territory.

http://www.aquatraders.com/

Back
Top Bottom