Lighting your reef... Best bang for your buck.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey guys I have a question. I'm gettin my Taos next week. When I put them under my corals, what percent should I start dimming then at for acclimation? And when should I start bringing the percent up? Also, I'm going to be adding a glass or plastic cover over the 40 breeder. Once the corals are all acclimated what percent should be kept best? Will the cover affect the light penetration? Should the percent be a little higher than if there were no cover?

I don't have any dimmable fixtures. But I think I heard 50% first week then increase it a bit. I hang mine about twice as high as I want them to end up, then lower them slowly over a month.

I prefer clear mesh covers as they allow proper gas exchange and block almost zero light.

what do you have over the tank now? What are you replacing? that should give you some idea of how much you should turn them up.

what do you have over the tank now? What are you replacing? that should give you some idea of how much you should turn them up.

I'm just setting the breeder up now. Cycling and stuff. With the cover on idk how much light will be depleted because of the cover. Should I make the percentage a little higher than normal? Or will the cover do really little at all at not allowing light into tank?

I don't have any dimmable fixtures. But I think I heard 50% first week then increase it a bit. I hang mine about twice as high as I want them to end up, then lower them slowly over a month.

I prefer clear mesh covers as they allow proper gas exchange and block almost zero light.

50% Seems like a little strong from the start, Ive have mine at say around 50/30 and I had em at around 60/50 put started to notice my toadstool leather starting to turn little white :(

I'm going to jump in hear with a few quick questions of that's okay.
In another thread someone referred me to aquatraders.com because I'm looking for lights for what will be my first attempt at keeping corals. The tank will be a 20g high nano reef and I was eyeing the Odessa 24" Quad T5 fixture which will run me around $100 after shipping. But now I've read a tiny bit of this thread and am thinking I may get a better bang for my buck by going with taotronics LEDs.
Would someone be able to a post a link for me of what type of taotronics I would need for my tank?
Thanks.

120 watt dimmable taotronics or 120 watt reef breeders. Just google and a lot is sites will pop up for the Taos with difference prices but all similar. Reef breeders. com will have there own site. One will be plenty for anything you want and no bulb replacement.

Great thanks. Pardon my ignorance, but what is the point of the blue lights?
And if 120w it too strong and I would need to dim it, shouldn't I just be looking at a less intense light overall? Does this mount to the tank or would I need to hang it overhead?

There's a thread in the hardware forum where blue light is discussed. "Actinic led" and 120 watts is too strong for a 20, you would have to dim it a lot. A 60 or 90 watt would be plenty.

Idk if they make a low model. There are lower ones out there I just don't know of any. Dimmable for sure,you would have to dim them down but if you plan on upgrading you would have a light.

If your interested in the Taos, this is the best one. Has 5 more blues than whites and has 120 degree optic (no optics). This is probably the cheapest one I've found. I bought this and will be getting it this Thursday.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?index=0&sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=380673447341
Can some people give me some ideas on how to hang this? I know it comes with a hanging kit, but I don't want to puncture my ceiling. Is there something I could make out of wood to hang it? How would I adjust the height with the hanging chains?

When I imported them, we had a 60w and 90w round fixtures. They were not dimmable though. The best bet for you is to buy a 120w fixture that is dimmable. That is where the best pricing seems to be. I can not find any of the fixtures I use to sell on the web. Maybe I need to start getting them again. And yes, you could make a stand to hang them from.

Attachments

• image-2810900936.jpg
    image-2810900936.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
If your interested in the Taos, this is the best one. Has 5 more blues than whites and has 120 degree optic (no optics). This is probably the cheapest one I've found. I bought this and will be getting it this Thursday.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?index=0&sbk=1&nav=SEARCH&itemId=380673447341
Can some people give me some ideas on how to hang this? I know it comes with a hanging kit, but I don't want to puncture my ceiling. Is there something I could make out of wood to hang it? How would I adjust the height with the hanging chains?
You could attach something to the back of your stand or the wall and have it come up and over. Even a plant hangar might do the trick.
As for adjusting the height, you don't need to. Once you have it at the desired height, you'll never move it again, you will adjust intensity with the knobs.

Here are two slapped together in 5 minute examples....It's my fish room so I don't care if it's pretty...but you'll get the idea..
img_2552685_0_305bc90824f15d6ce49de76b6477a89f.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom