Lighting your reef... Best bang for your buck.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The controller may not be necessary for coral but i think having the ability to ramp up and down with the lights makes things more realistic for the fish and gives them a more lifelike home. That being said the reef breeders controller has some quirks but works well enough to be worth it IMO.

I'm going to pick up a set of the Taotronics soon. Which eBay seller would you folks recommend?
I went with topledseller, very fast shipping got my units in four days, $120 a unit dimmable, and the lights are better than the first set I purchased. Iittle things too like angled power supply and labeled dimmer knobs. Just awesome in every aspect

The controller may not be necessary for coral but i think having the ability to ramp up and down with the lights makes things more realistic for the fish and gives them a more lifelike home. That being said the reef breeders controller has some quirks but works well enough to be worth it IMO.
I haven't had any problems with any fish the entire time I have been in the hobby, and have never had any sort of dimming controller on any lighting. Have you seen a jump in fish health since you are using a controller? What were they doing before you got the controller?

I have not been in the saltwater hobby long enough to offer conclusive proof that a dimmer is beneficial for fish health, I'm only offering my observations as to my fishs behavior as the lights ramp down. I also have never had lights that did not dim on my salt water tank. I can say on my fresh tank that I do not have a controller and when I switch from the whites and blues to blues only many of the fish dart around I assume due to the sudden change.

As I said in my previous post this is just my opinion based on my limited experience and observations. Since we all try to re-create as realistic a re-creation of the natural habitat as we can I chose to use dimmable lights to help with that.

Mine did at first too,, but they chill now. Just keep cruising around

They are nice, but not on the "essential" list. My fish do fine for over 20 years without a dimmer. No jumping. In fact their internal clocks are so good, most of the fish are holed up 5 minutes before the main lights go out.

Quick question. How close or different is the royal blue compared to the standard blue led chips. More specifically the xp-e cree chip.

Does anyone know if the Taotronics LEDs are compatible withe the Apex Controller?

Does anyone know if the Taotronics LEDs are compatible withe the Apex Controller?

As far as I know they do not.i think that was the main reason I upgraded to the evergrow it2040(which isn't compatible either)I just like the fact that its programmable so there isn't any use to hook it up to a controller.and I'm not knocking the taotronics or similar d120 models just really like this unit and its full spectrum!

There are at least two different Tao units that I've seen on amazon with built in controllers, I recently picked up the less expensive ones and have had them @ a week so far and all my corals (with the exception of a couple Duncans) are loving them

The Taos do not interface with controllers, unless you use an interface that can turn the knobs. There is a Chinese led panel that does, but Taos doesn't distribute them to my knowledge. RapidLED has a Onyx fixture that is full spectrum and does interface to controllers. It's just over $300 though.

There are at least two different Tao units that I've seen on amazon with built in controllers, I recently picked up the less expensive ones and have had them @ a week so far and all my corals (with the exception of a couple Duncans) are loving them

Model #'s are TT-AL12 and TT-AL16

hey Gregcoyote have you heard anything about these lights?
http://www.aquastyleonline.com/products/36--LEDs--DIY-Dimmable-Kit.html
im setting up a 20 gallon reef and would like to keep more than just lps and sps. it is a 20 high would i be better off getting the dimmable chinese led that I've heard mentioned on here quite a few times

These kits use Bridgelux 3 watt LED's which is what's in the dimmable $129 Taotronics unit I believe. I love DIY, but is it worth $30 to build it yourself? One advantage is you could add a few red and green LED's to warm up the spectrum, but that's only for looks, the coral doesn't care.

Your question stated you wanted to keep stuff more than LPS and SPS? They are about as hard as it gets on lighting, so I would guess a dimmable led fixture would suit you fine.

Last edited:
These kits use Bridgelux 3 watt LED's which is what's in the dimmable $129 Taotronics unit I believe. I love DIY, but is it worth $30 to build it yourself?

hmm I'm going to have to think on it. either way i wouldn't be able hang the taos on the ceiling, they would have to be wall mounted. so I'm thinking of building a sleek looking shelf with the diy ones. do you think the light would be more spread out with the diy?

The spread of the light is controlled by the type of lenses you put on the emitters. A 90 degree lens will allow more spread for the height, but a 60 degree lens focus's more light to the sand bed. With no lens the emitters spread the light to about 180 degrees, wasting much of the emitters energy.

Back
Top Bottom