Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe Brian Nano can correct me on anything i have just posted as he's much more experienced. That was just my understanding on lighting

Brian, I'm still I'm high school so I get money from my parents haha and thank you sk3lly I will do more research

Do u have a birthday coming up? ;)

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Okay so I will get a desktop lamp with a full spectrum cfl bulb and hopefully grow dwarf baby tears!

I would upgrade my hood if I could, but a desk lamp with a PAR38 will work short term. It's still inefficient.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Sk3lly gave some good advice. Carpeting plants would grow faster and hug the ground (carpeting) better in higher PAR. But higher PAR means more risk and requires better "balancing" between light intensity, duration, co2 (or co2 booster/excel), and ferts. Or else the Algae monster will come out and bite you! haha

A desk lamp with a CFL is cheap and more than adequate to grow DHG and HC (dwarf baby tears). But your limiting factor might be CO2... although the CO2 booster will help. You can always rig up a DIY co2 generator (yeast/sugar). But that would be good for a tank 10-20g, IMO. The 3g you'll risk gassing out any inhabitants.

I haven't used CFL's personally, but I know a guy who grew an amazing high-tech tank with HC and fast-growing stems with 2x CFL's... but his tank is 17g's so it's taller and larger. So 1 CFL would do the trick on a nano tank.
ADA 60P|Glosso carpet| PurpleMonkeyDishwasher

But if you want a nice LED light for that nano tank, you can get a Finnex FugeRay-R clip light. Amazon.com: Finnex Fugeray-R Ultra Slim Aquarium LED Light Fixture: Pet Supplies

That would grow both DHG and HC if you add a few inches in substrate depth. My personal opinion, I'd also get rid of that gravel and use something more planted tank friendly like Sand or Floramax/Eco Complete.

You need at least 30 PAR (which is the starting of "medium" light) to grow those plants. Your 3g is 14.6 x 8.8 x 11.2 inches. So with the FugeRay-R, if you get the distance from light to substrate to about 10 to 11", you should get about 30 PAR with the FugeRay-R (according to the PAR charts released by Finnex).

Here's another option... cheaper than the Finnex, but a little more expensive than a desklamp. It would work as well.
http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Mini-P...=8-1&keywords=fluval+compact+fluorescent+lamp

Last edited:
Okay thanks Brian! And I already have a desktop lamp, that is why I thought about getting the cfl bulb, and will the baby tears not grow on the gravel?

I just want to be able to grow the baby tears and have a carpet, I want the things I need in order to grow it and I also can't be spending too much money or else my parents will be mad haha, I have a betta in my tank and plan on adding shrimp

Also will it grow under the water? Because some people say it won't do good growing submerged

I think the root structure of HC is too fine and small it to grow and 'carpet' in gravel. Sand is much better and it's cheap. It's inert, meaning no nutritional value, so make sure to be on top of dosing liquid fertilizer that has micro and macro nutrients and a liquid carbon regularly. Floramax would be a better alternative. You can buy a 12lbs bag of it at Petsmart for like $13.

Just do a lot research and reading... HC and DHG are not considered beginner plants. Definitely a lot more work and care involved.

Would it be better to grow dwarf hairgrass or dwarf baby tears?

Would it be better to grow dwarf hairgrass or dwarf baby tears?

Dwarf hairgrass is easier (required less light and less carbon). Better is a subjective term and depends on what you like. But I'd learn with DHG and then move to HC down the road as you get more experienced.

So I will use my desktop lamp with a full spectrum cfl bulb, I add liquid co2 booster and leaf zone, with root tabs for my amazon sword. Idk if I will need anything else?

Yes... you need to dose a more comprehensive fertilizer regimen. If you can, order the PPS-Pro pack from Green Leaf Aquariums and learn to mix them yourself. There are resources there and a recipe guide.

But if you want to stick with liquid ferts, Leaf Zone only supplies potash (K) and Iron (Fe). You are still missing other essential Micro and Macro Nutrients. The basic macro nutrients are N,P,K. So you should get these:

The Enhancer Kit (NPK):
Freshwater Aquatic Plants in Aquariums: Flourish Liquid Plant Packs

And Flourish Comp:
Supplements for Healthy Planted Aquariums: Seachem Flourish

And continue using the CO2 booster and Leaf Zone...

But if you can, like I said and Sk3lly, learn PPS-Pro and save your allowance or whatever to buy that kit. It will last forever and save you a ton of cash by investing ASAP:
PPS-Pro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums

Back
Top Bottom