lights for 55 gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alisharev

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, so I just got a 55 gallon tank. I don't know exactly what types of lights to use for a planted tank. I have herd that I can get some at the hardware store for cheap, and they would be just as good. if this is the case what should I get?

Do you want a low tech setup that doesn't require a lot of upkeep, but will limit your plant choices? Would you prefer a high tech tank that requires a fair amount of upkeep and start up expense, but would allow you to grow any plant you want?

Most shop lights are meant to light a room, so there will be a lot of light that isn't directed into the aquarium. I have heard that there are some that are meant for lighting a smaller area, which would work better. You can get a decent amount of light this way, but an aquarium fixture will look better and be more efficient. If the aquarium is going to be a show aquarium then you will probably be happier with an aquarium fixture. Like most things, there are lots of ways you can have a successful aquarium, you just need to find what works for you.

I planed on having many different types of plants. I agree with you. I want this to be a show tank. I just know to have healthy plants i need a good light.

You might want to check out the Current T-5 fixtures. They are both energy efficient and great for growing plants. They're less expensive than some other brands, but I've actually been more pleased by them than one of the more expensive brands.

Do you want to deal with CO2? If not you do best to aim for a medium light aquarium. This will allow you to grow a greater variety of plants without having to run CO2 and lots of dosing.

Thank you. I personally don't mind CO2, so I plan on using it. I was going to start using it on my 30 gallon but I got a 55 gallon tank for cheap. so I am changing over. sence you use a T5 do you use CO2?

I'm just starting my aquarium right now. So far I don't have any CO2 running, partially because I want to get a new drop checker first. There's a little bit of algae, but nothing horrible. I plan to use CO2 since I have the setup on hand from using it with a previous setup, but I don't think it's strictly necessary with my setup.

Yeah that was my plan. I already have the stuff so why not use it. Thank you for your help.

if you are going for a show tank i would get a dual bulb fixture from fishneedit.com they are fairly cheap yet good. shop lights will let you grow the basics but they are not really meant to pump the light down to the bottom of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom