Lights ON or OFF when Breeding fish ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
My angelfish have paired up.

When I go to bed at night, is it ok if I turn the lights off ??

When breeding Angels.....

My angelfish have paired up.

When I go to bed at night, is it ok if I turn the lights off ??

You'll find that everything will become more predictable if you keep the fish on a regular schedule. Put their lights on a timer, Feed approx. the same times each day, do your water changes the same day each week, etc. Once the fish get used to your routine they will breed to it.
In my hatchery, I could pretty much predict , accurately, how many spawns I would find when I walked into the breeding room each day and which pairs they would be from. It becomes that automatic ;)

As for the post about "depending on what other fish are in the tank", if you are serious about raising fry, there should be no other fish in a breeding tank besides the parents whether you choose to leave the parents to care for the spawn or you are going to remove the eggs and hatch them separately.

For the post about the parents eating the eggs when the lights go out, the best thing to do is use artifical hatching methods if you plan on raising any quantity of the spawns. Some Angels are egg eaters and that won't change over time. That they wait until lights out is odd other than it may be enough time for the parents to see that the eggs are going bad and their natural instinct is to remove the bad eggs from the spawning site. You may want to try to artifically hatch 1 spawn just to confirm that the pair is fertile.
If you would like more information about artifical hatching, just pm me :)

Hope this helps...(y)

Back
Top Bottom