Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

C4L05 R33F

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone I'm thinking about taking off the lid on my 34 gal Red Sea Max and hanging a led fixture with maybe a glass top what do u guys think, any comments and concerns are appreciated

Also the stock hood has the factory 2x 55w power compacts but they really heat up my water and I could also sell my chiller cuz the LEDs run alot cooler

I am thinking about doing the same thing on my aquaeuro USA 34 gallons. I'll be interested in any comments too. Thanks.

you don't really need a glass top on your tank unless you have jumpers, even then i'd still say get a window screen and put it over. you want gas exchange so leaving the surface open to the air is benificial at keeping the PH consistant and the temps consistant

I used Fiberglas window screen, but thought it cut the light too much. Used a light meter and even the sheerest screen dropped the light considerably. I bought window screen frames and sheer pantyhose (no jokes please) and stretched that into the frame. Little light loss. But the nylon will only last a while, then needs replacing. Very cheap as a pair of large size panty hose can make a lot of screens. Good for lights that don't put out much heat, hot light will melt the nylon.

people use egg crates, and its said to increase the PAR, as it acts liek a parabolic lense that directs light straight down rather then lets it spead out

Gti_Leo said:
people use egg crates, and its said to increase the PAR, as it acts liek a parabolic lense that directs light straight down rather then lets it spead out

+1

I plan on doing this for my tank. Currently I have some stock glass hoods over it.

Back
Top Bottom