Like to start an Amazon style aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

physicsdude

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys- I just bought a 10 gallon hex tank. Im looking for some ideas on what to sewt up for a tank taht models osmething like whats in the amazon river. So, as I'm sure that many already ahve a sysytem up like the one I hope to create, i'd appreciate some ideas and maybe pictures on it.
Thanks!

This is a recent pic of my 75 "subjugated" SA biotope tank, which is still in progress. The subjugation is the blue gravel.

june2005a002.jpg

The tank contains all SA fish species and driftwood is abundant...rock caves and plants.

What you really need is the dreaded canderu, a nasty little fish with a penshot (sp?) for swimming up a man's urethra. :p $5 to the first one who gets the reference.

:roll: We all know about the little parasitic fish, it's really a tired subject.

As for the question at hand, the hex tank in my opinion limits you due to the odd shape. It's tall and no floor space/swim space which is important. Maybe you could put some plants in there and a school of neons or cardinals. Or a school of one of the other small tetras. And a couple cory cats for the bottom.

Indeed, it is tired, but the comment was more to see if anyone on this board watches Venture Bros. than anything. :p

I watch venture bros, I suppose I missed the episode where that was mentioned. I first learned about that little fish from the good ol' discovery channel.

Yeah, I suppose we have. :p Anyway, the amazon tank needs some friggin' piranhas. For feeding children to. But I think you said it's a 10 gallon, which IMO is a bit small for any kind of biotope.

I suppose, but when I think of a biotope I like to think of a variety of species in a fairly large tank, all from the same region. Hence, "IMO."

I would like to try to help you some..
I like the amazon for a bio-tope for one reason alone. its not hard to do.. there is alot of plants and fish in the hobby already from that region.
How tall is your little hex tank? I would definatly look into having live plants..
and you are limited to what fish you can have.. but small tetras would still be a very nice option for a little tank.. have you done any reaserch into planted tanks? how wide is the tank it can be a little limiting as to your light sorce choices. but dont give up.. Im sure somthing can be figured out..

hey! i have had a 20 galllon planted with swords, mdagascar lace, wisteria, fanwort, bananas, a copperleaf, and a coffee plant(i think thats what its called)...anyway, im going for cardinal tetras with some corys fro the tank. i hope to create it with lush vegetation, especially ground cover and java ferns for the driftwood.
this is what i am using for a model:

Attachments

• amazon_angelfish_02.jpg
    amazon_angelfish_02.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 36
  • amazon_cardinals_01_373.gif
    amazon_cardinals_01_373.gif
    211.8 KB · Views: 28
the tanks not small, but is comparable in size to the rectangular 20 gallon, yet the hex is 10 gallon. its height is 18". oh, definately live plants- ill never use palstic ones again! can be very interesting to design, maybe with some tall grass and swords with java ferns and others on the driftwood while ground cover is lush. any ideas for a cover? thanks guys!

I didnt say it was too small. Im pretty sure your not talking to me though. Are you looking to do high light plants? If so I would advise higer intensity light (4wpg+) considering the tiny surfase area of the tank..
how wide is the tank?

Back
Top Bottom