Limestone in pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacktheknife

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am told that using limestone will increase my PH-- can i prevent this by clear coating it? and for that matter, can i paint it an then clear coat it to prevent toxins from the paint as well?

I would imagine, yes....but limestone, being as porous as it is, will take a lot of coating. Considering the work and expense involved, you would likely get away more cheaply using a different sort of rock.

i think i will get away pretty cheaply since i already own the paint and rock, i just need the clear coat. by the time i go to coat it, the paint will have solved the potentially perplexing porous problem.
i'm just concerned with the materials leaching into the water, but it sounds like the clear coating will contain it.

If you do decide to get it make sure that you get really hard limestone not the soft crumbly stuff.

All the rock in my pond is limestone, but I'm East Coast, Acid rain country. The limestone raising my ph is a Good Thing!

Limestone leaching

You cant totally seal limestone Even g8 pond seal wont seal the edges.
Dont go there, do away with the limestone or put it round the edge of the pond. Limestone has a tendancy to expand & contract the expansion causes more lime to enter the pond & is a scource for disfiguration of fish even if they stay alive.
Render(plaster) your pond if you must use the rock or put in a liner.
Rein fibres are the things to put in the cement mix & G8 pondseal is the stuff to put over it. Imagine losing all your fish after 3 months of starting up. You would blame us for not giving the best advice.
Well here is the best advice I can give------ Bin it.

Wow you must have potent limestone in Ireland.

I too have limestone in my pond that is unsealed just not a whole pond full. I have kept aquarium fish in an aquarium full of limestone. My water got hard but the fish where fine.

Its not only overhere

Limestone is allways potentially harmfull especially the layered stuff. If you dont beleive me just split one of your rocks in the pond & watch the P.h rise in the three days following.
Fish become more hardy to it , Thats why willows look nice over a pond but on leafshed day Poison your fish. Some pondkeepers dont know this!
The idea was to warn you instead of having you cry when all your fish are lying on the bank poisoned. Beleive me I have cried I lost 30 in on go and 5 years hard graft for one night of sorrow.
Be warned, It not just in Ireland.
Regards

Sorry you had such a hard time with your fish boroughmal. I wasn't trying to belittle your suggestion I just hadn't heard of it before :oops: .

It must be that some animals just can't handle the hard water because I know there are some fish that live in high limestone environments in nature.

Back
Top Bottom