Limestone Rock for Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mylifeasben

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I live in an area where you physically can't dig a hole deeper than 10 centimetres without hitting limestone.

Can I use this (after washing in really well and maybe even boiling it) in a tank with electric yellows?

There's some really interesting rocks that have been dug up whilst they clear land over the road from me, and it looks like what you get from the lfs.

Any advice would be great!

Cheers,

Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Limestone isn't necessarily a bad thing, if you have soft water it can be quite beneficial, but it will cause your pH to raise. Calcium carbonate isn't really soluble in water, so it is a relatively slow change, but a change nonetheless. Quartz, granite, and slate are all good choices of you can find them laying around.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The LIMESTONE at your LFS is the same thing if you want LINESTONE to raise your PH to keep mbuna or something then it would work. Same thing here the taps PH is alrady high from all the limestone.

I was given a whole heap of limestone when I was looking at setting the tank up for cichlids. This stuff was more crumbly and would probably have reacted quite quickly (sometimes I wonder if my retaining wall is built from the same stuff).

Other limestone I have seen looks as tough as nails. If you had to bash it quite a bit to get it out, it will probably be slower reacting.

I was given a whole heap of limestone when I was looking at setting the tank up for cichlids. This stuff was more crumbly and would probably have reacted quite quickly (sometimes I wonder if my retaining wall is built from the same stuff).

Other limestone I have seen looks as tough as nails. If you had to bash it quite a bit to get it out, it will probably be slower reacting.

Yes, keyword is surface area.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'll have a look and see if it's the crumbly stuff or not. I think it's what you'd call cap rock and had to be dug up by a 40 tonne digger. If it's the same as what was removed when we put in our pool, it's ridiculously hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I use limestone in my tanks. I live in an area that has a ton of limestone and quartz. The hard limestone will only raise your PH slightly. I use it to keep my PH stable.

I use limestone in my tanks. I live in an area that has a ton of limestone and quartz. The hard limestone will only raise your PH slightly. I use it to keep my PH stable.

Just out of interest I assume gh/kh would also show little change for you? I find with crushed shells they don't do much as tank ph is already 7.6 or so.

You could try putting vinegar on and see if you get any fizzing (might need a magnifying glass). If no bubbles, could still be limestone just not very reactive (maybe high magnesium content).

If you can get hold of pool acid (I think it is) that should be stronger than vinegar (weak acid) and a better test. Vinegar is a nice test though, if it reacts to vinegar than the rock is fairly reactive.

A great source for aquarium rock is your landscape supply yard. My LFS wanted $15-$30 for some pieces of stone. I went to the local landscape yard and bought 200 lbs of rock for $40.00 I bought some interesting pieces of Lace Rock.

Just an FYI...

The acid test is always a good one.

Back
Top Bottom