Limestone Rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.Cola1151

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK, so I ordered some limestone rocks from BA's, and I've been reading that they will raise my PH. This is not good for me, but these rocks look great and I would like to add them to my tank.

The question I have is will my Fluval Stratum soil be strong enough to balance the PH of my tank back down to 7.0?

I've never dealt with your issue. However, I can say that the amount your pH rises will be in direct relation to the size of the rocks vs your amount of water. That said, maybe let folks know what size rocks you purchased and tank size. It could only help.

The resultant water chemistry is is question based on some unknown variables, so why not try a little test to get an idea what the scope of your issue is likely to be. Select a rock at some small proportion of your intended setup. For example, if your tank is 50 gallons select about 1/10 of your rock mass and place it in a 5 gallon pail. Test the water every few days for awhile and see where it goes.

Unless you're in a hurry, of course. ;)

Back
Top Bottom